History of the division
- Created as part of the formation of “2nd Line” reserves for the Territorial Force authorised on 31 August 1914 but did not come into existence until January 1915.
- Was the 2nd Line to the existing 53rd (Welsh) Division
- Concentrated as a formation in the Northampton area in April 1915
- Suffered from continual drain of drafts from its units, sent to the 1st Line, and equipment shortages
- Moved to the Bedford area in July-August 1915
- Became part of the First Army of Central Force for home defence in November 1915
- Left First Army and became part of general reserve of home forces by September 1916
- Locations at this time: HQ and 203rd Infantry Brigade at Bedford; 204th Infantry Brigade at old Warden and Lowestoft; 205th Infantry Brigade at Howbury and Orford; mounted units at Turvey; artillery at Austin Cannon, Old Warden and Howbury; engineers at Orford, Yatesbuty and Bungay.
- Joined Northern Army of Central Force for home defence by May 1917
- Locations in summer 1917: HQ at Bungay; 203rd Infantry Brigade at Halesworth; 204th Infantry Brigade at Westleton; 205th Infantry Brigade at Lowestoft (Herringfleet by August); cyclists at Great Yarmouth and Saxmundham; artillery at Huntingdon and Flixton; attached artillery at Leiston; engineers at Halesworth, Great Yarmouth and Southwold.
- Locations in winter 1917-18: 203rd Infantry Brigade at Great Yarmouth; 204th Infantry Brigade at Bury St Edmunds; 205th Infantry Brigade at Lowestoft; cyclists at Lowestoft, Peasenhall and Wickham Market; artillery at Langley and Harleston, heavy battery at Blythburgh; engineers at Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth and Heydon.
- Significant changes to the structure of the infantry brigades in winter 1917-1918 and the division ceased to belong to the Territorial Force. It was renamed as 68th Division
- Locations in spring 1918: HQ at Bungay; 203rd Infantry Brigade at Benacre Park and Herringfleet; 204th Infantry Brigade at Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket and Stowlangtoft; 205th Infantry Brigade at Saxmundham; cyclists at Henham; artillery at Henham and Herringfleet; engineers at Henham, Herringfleet and Southwold.
- Locations in November 1918: HQ at Bungay; 203rd Infantry Brigade at Herringfleet; 204th Infantry Brigade at Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket and Stowlangtoft; 205th Infantry Brigade at Henham; cyclists at Oulton; artillery at Harleston and Herringfleet; engineers at Diss, Great Yarmouth and Southwold.
- Ceased to exist by 17 March 1919.
Order of Battle
I have not written section yet! Come back soon!
War diaries do not exist for any element of this division