The Royal Guernsey Light Infantry
August 1914 : this regiment incorporated two full battalions of infantry, both based on the island. In March 1915 one Company was detached and joined the 6th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment.
1st (Service) Battalion
Formed by the Militia in 1916 and named the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry.
Moved to Bourne Park (Canterbury) in May 1917, under orders of 202nd Brigade in 67th Division.
27 September 1917 : left the Division and landed at Le Havre, then transferred to 86th Brigade in 29th Division. Took part in the Battle of Cambrai in late November 1917.
27 April 1918 : left the Division and became GHQ Troops after sustaining heavy casualties at Le Doulieu in the Battle of the Lys.
2nd (Reserve) Battalion
Formed by the Militia in 1916 and remained in Guernsey.
The Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey
August 1914 : this regiment incorporated three full battalions of infantry, all based on the island.
March 1915 : one Company was detached and joined the 7th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles.
1916 : the Militia formed the Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion, which was taken over by the War Office in December 1916 and remained on the island.
During the First World War 6,292 Jerseymen served in HM Forces, of whom 862 were killed in action or died of wounds. During the war the Militia also provided part of the guard for the German POW camp at Blanches Banque at St Brelade. At the end of the war the Jersey Militia was demobilised and was subsequently was granted the Battle Honour ‘The Great War 1914-1918’. Many thanks to Norman Wood at his unofficial Royal Militia of Jersey website for this information.