Guards Machine Gun Regiment

The four Machine Gun Companies in the Guards Division were formed into a unit named the 4th Battalion Machine Gun Guards on 1 March 1918.

By a Royal Warrant of 10 May 1918 and as stated in Army Order 161 of 1918, the Guards Machine Gun Regiment was formed. It comprised four Machine Gun Battalions: the three Household Cavalry Regiments (the 1st and 2nd Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards) formed the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions, and the 4th Battalion Machine Gun Guards joined and was renamed the 4th (Foot Guards) Battalion.

The Army Order stated that the title of the regiment was the 6th or Machine Gun Regiment of Foot Guards (or Guards Machine Gun Regiment).


Other infantry regiments

Machine Gun Corps

Guards Division