The Queen’s was sometimes known as the Mutton Lancers, after their “Lamb and Flag” cap badge.
The regimental badge as depicted on a CWGC grave stone. From the excellent Epsom and Ewell History Explorer website, with my thanks.
Battalions of the Regular Army
August 1914 : in Bordon Camp. Under command of 3rd Brigade, 1st Division.
Landed at Le Havre 13 August 1914.
8 November 1914 : transferred to I Corps.
21 July 1915 : transferred to 5th Brigade, 2nd Division.
15 December 1915 : transferred to 100th Brigade, 33rd Division.
5 February 1918 : transferred to 19th Brigade, 33rd Division.
August 1914 : in Pretoria. Returned to England 19 September 1914.
Joined 22nd Brigade, 7th Division. Landed at Zeebrugge 6 October 1914.
20 December 1915 : transferred to 91st Brigade, 7th Division.
3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Guildford. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war.
Moved in August 1914 to Chattenden, went on in November to Rochester.
Moved to Sittingbourne in February 1916.
Battalions of the Territorial Force
August 1914 : in Croydon. Part of Surrey Brigade, Home Counties Division.
29 October 1914 : to India, remaining there throughout the war. The Division was broken up on arrival in Bombay.
December 1914 – January 1915 with Secunderabad Brigade, 9th (Secunderabad) Division.
January to April 1915 in Lucknow Brigade, 8th (Lucknow) Division. Transferred in April to Allahabad Brigade in same Division. January 1916 to Peshawar Brigade then Nowshera Brigade in 1st (Peshawar) Division. Left March 1917.
Formed at Croydon in August 1914 as Second Line unit. Attached to 2/Surrey Brigade, 2/Home Counties Division.
24 April 1915 : moved to 160th Brigade, 53rd Division. Initially joined as a composite unit with 2/5th Queen’s, but restored to become 2/4th again after two months.
29 June 1918 : transferred to 101st Brigade, 34th Division.
Formed at Windsor in June 1915.
July 1915 : under command of 200th Brigade, 67th (2nd Home Counties) Division.
Left Southampton on 31 May 1917 and landed at Le Havre the following day (1 June). They reached Etrun on 6 June and were attached to the South African Infantry Brigade in 9th (Sottish) Division. Worked with 11th and 12th Infantry Brigades of 4th Division for front line acclimatisation until 23 July when attached to 12th (Eastern) Division for admin purposes.
With thanks to Neil Mackenzie for these details.
9 August 1917 : came under command of 62nd Brigade, 21st Division.
11 February 1918 disbanded in France; at least some of the men went to 20th Entrenching Battalion.
Formed at Croydon in July 1915.
8 April 1916 became 4th (Reserve) Bn.
August 1914 : in Guildford. Part of Surrey Brigade, Home Counties Division.
29 October 1914 : to India, remaining there until December 1915 when moved to Mesopotamia, where they remained throughout the war. December 1914 – January 1915 with Lucknow Brigade, 8th (Lucknow) Division. Transferred in April 1915 to Allahabad Brigade in same Division. Transferred in November 1915 to 12th Brigade in 12th Indian Division and went to Mesopotamia. May 1916 transferred with Brigade to 15th Indian Division.
Formed at Guildford in September 1914. Attached to 2nd Surrey Brigade, 2nd Home Counties Division.
In May 1915, some 400 men were attached to the 2/4th Battalion, making a composite unit. 2/5th remained as part of 200th Brigade, 67th (2nd Home Counties) Division.
September 1917 all available men posted as drafts to other units, only a small cadre remaining in 200th Brigade.
Formed at Guildford in June 1915.
8 April 1916: became 5th (Reserve) Bn.
1 September 1916 : absorbed into 4th (Reserve) Bn.
Formed on 1 January 1917 from what had previously been the 69th Provisional Battalion of the TF. It had been formed at Tunbridge Wells in June 1915 from “Home Service only” personnel.
Formed at Cromer in June 1918 but was absorbed into the 21st Middlesex in July.
Battalions of the New Armies
6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Guildford in August 1914 as part of K1.
August 1914 : under command of 37th Brigade, 12th (Eastern) Division.
7th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Guildford in September 1914 as part of K2.
September 1914 : under command of 55th Brigade, 18th (Eastern) Division.
8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Guildford in September 1914 as part of K3.
September 1914 : under command of 72nd Brigade, 24th Division.
February 1918 : moved to 17th Brigade, 24th Division.
9th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Gravesend in October 1914 as a Service battalion, part of K4.
November 1914 : under command of 93rd Brigade, original 34th Division.
April 1915 : became a Reserve battalion.
September 1916 : absorbed into the battalions of 5th Reserve Brigade of the Training Reserve.
10th (Service) Battalion (Battersea)
Formed at Battersea on 3 June 1915 by the Mayor and Borough of Battersea.
June 1915 : under command of 124th Brigade, 41st Division.
11th (Service) Battalion (Lambeth)
Formed at Lambeth on 16 June 1915 by the Mayor and Borough of Lambeth.
June 1915 : under command of 123rd Brigade, 41st Division.
12th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Brixton in October 1915 from depot companies of the 10th and 11th Battalions, as local reserve Bn.
September 1916 : became 97th Training Reserve Battalion in 23rd Reserve Brigade.
13th, 14th and 15th (Labour) Battalions
Formed at Balmer (13th) and Crawley (14th and 15th) in the period July to September 1916. 14th Bn went to Salonika and 13th and 15th to France in September 1916.
June 1917 : all transferred to Labour Corps as 93rd to 98th Labour Companies, each battalion forming two companies; E Company of 14th Queens also formed 201st Labour Company..
16th (Home Service) Battalion
Formed at Farnham in November 1916 and placed under orders of 213th Brigade, 71st Division. For men who had been medically graded for home service only.
November 1917 : transferred to 214th Brigade, 71st Division.
February 1918 : Brigade transferred to 67th Division.
17th and 18th (Labour) Battalions
Formed at Crawley in November 1916.
June 1917 : transferred to Labour Corps and became Eastern Command Labour Centre.