Battalions of the Regular Army
August 1914 : in 4th (Quetta) Division in India. Remained in India throughout the war.
August 1914 : in Tidworth. Part of 7th Brigade in 3rd Division.
Landed at Le Havre 14 August 1914.
18 October 1915 : transferred with the Brigade to 25th Division.
26 October 1915 : transferred to 75th Brigade in same Division.
21 June 1918 : transferred to 64th Brigade in 21st Division.
30 June 1918 : transferred to 89th Brigade in 30th Division.
3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Warrington. A depot/training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war. Moved on mobilisation to Crosby and in May 1917 went on to Barrow in Furness for a role with the Barrow garrison and remained as such throughout the rest of the war.
The regimental badge as depicted on a CWGC grave headstone. This image courtesy of the excellent Leo Reynolds collection at the flickr website.
Battalions of the Territorial Force
August 1914 : in Warrington and Newton-le-Willows. Part of South Lancashire Brigade in West Lancashire Division.
13 February 1915 : left the Brigade and landed at Le Havre. Attached on arrival to 7th Brigade in 3rd Division.
12 October 1915 : became Pioneer Battalion to same Division.
9 January 1916 : transferred to 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
August 1914 : in St. Helens, Prescot and Widnes. Part of South Lancashire Brigade in West Lancashire Division.
13 February 1915 : left the Brigade and landed at Le Havre. Attached on arrival to 12th Brigade in 4th Division.
4 November 1915 : Brigade was attached to 36th (Ulster) Division.
6 January 1916 : transferred to 166th Brigade in 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
Formed at Warrington and Newton-le-Willows in September 1914. Some evidence that it then moved to Blackpool.
8 February 1915 : moved to Ashford (Kent) and attached to 172nd Brigade in 57th (2nd (West Lancashire) Division.
Moved in June 1916 to Mytchett (Aldershot) and went on in October 1916 to Blackdown.
16 February 1917: landed at Boulogne.
Formed at St Helens in September 1914.
Record same as 2/4th Bn.
20 February 1917: landed at Boulogne.
25 February 1918 : disbanded at Steenwerck in France.
3/4th and 3/5th Battalions
Formed at home bases in April 1915. Moved to Blackpool in autumn 1915 and on to Oswestry in early 1916.
8 April 1916 : became 4th and 5th Reserve Bns.
1 September 1816: 5th was absorbed into 4th Reserve Bn.
Moved to Dublin in April 1918.
Formed on 1 January 1917 from what had been the 49th Provisional Bn TF. The 49th was formed from Home Service personnel from the TF Bns of the regiment. Based at Hemsby (Norfolk) but moved to Palling (Norfolk coast) in late 1917.
Battalions of the New Armies
6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Warrington in August 1914 as part of K1 and moved to Tidworth, under command of 38th Brigade in 13th (Western) Division. Moved to billets in Winchester in January 1915 before going next month to Blackdown.
Sailed from Avonmouth in June 1915. Landed at Cape Helles (Gallipoli) 7-31 July then moved to Mudros. Landed at Anzac Beach 4 August 1915.
20 December 1915 : evacuated from Gallipoli and went to Egypt via Mudros.
February 1916 : moved to Mesopotamia.
7th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Warrington in September 1914 as part of K2 and moved to Tidworth, under command of 56th Brigade in 19th (Western) Division. Moved to billets in Andover, December 1914, and to Clevedon February 1915. Moved back to Tidworth in March.
Landed at Boulogne 18 July 1915.
22 February 1918 : disbanded in France.
8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Warrington in September 1914 as part of K3 and moved to Codford, under command of 75th Brigade in 25th Division. Moved to billets in Bournemouth in November 1914. Moved to Wokingham in May 1915 and on to Aldershot in June.
Landed in France on 28 September 1915.
16 February 1918 : disbanded in France.
9th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Warrington in September 1914 as part of K3 and moved to Seaford, under command of 66th Brigade in 22nd Division. Moved to billets in Eastbourne in December 1914. Moved back to March 1915 and on to Bourley (Aldershot) in May.
Landed in France on 7 September 1915 but sailed from Marseilles 29 October, landing at Salonika 5 November 1915.
10th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Crosby in October 1914 as a Service Battalion, part of K4. Came under command of 105th Brigade, original 35th Division. Moved to Heswall in December 1914.
10 April 1915 : converted into a Reserve Battalion. Moved to Kinmel in July 1915 and in August went on to Prees Heath.
1 September 1916 : became 51st Training Reserve Battalion of 11th Reserve Brigade.
11th (Service) Battalion (St Helens Pioneers)
Formed in St. Helens on 1 September 1914 by Lord Derby. Moved to Bangor in February 1915.
15 May 1915 : moved to Grantham and came under command of 30th Division as its Pioneer Battalion. Adopted by War Office 15 August 1915. Moved to Larkhill in September 1915.
Landed at Le Havre on 7 November 1915.
15 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
19 June 1918 : attached to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.
30 June 1918 : returned to England with 75th Brigade of 25th Division.
3 July 1918 : absorbed the 18th Bn at Aldershot and returned to France as Pioneers to 25th Division.
12th (Service) Battalion
Formed in Warrington in June 1915 as a Bantam Battalion.
January 1916 : moved to Blackdown and came under command of 120th Brigade in 40th Division.
2 March 1916 : absorbed by the 11th Bn, the King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment).
13th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Oswestry in September 1915 as a Reserve Bn.
Moved to Prescot in November 1915 and on to Altcar in April 1916.
1 September 1916 : absorbed into 69th Battalion of the Training Reserve
15th and 16th (Transport Workers) Battalions
Formed at Bebington and Prescot in December 1916 and April 1917 respectively, for work in Mersey docks.
17th (Transport Workers) Battalion
Formed at Bidston, Cheshire, in April 1918 for work on canals.
Formed at North Walsham on 1 June 1918 but absorbed into 11th Bn in July 1918.