Regimental headquarters and “C” Squadron at Lancaster House, Whalley Range,Manchester; “A” Squadron at Oldham; “B” at Bolton; “D” at Blackpool.
1/1st Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry
- Formed in April 1908 for the Territorial Force and headquartered in Manchester, the regiment was under command of the Welsh Border Mounted Brigade.
- On completing mobilisation “A” Squadron went to join the East Lancashire Division.
- It went to Egypt with the division in September 1914.
- On 29 January 1917 it moved to the 53rd (Welsh) Division.
- On 23 August 1917 it moved to join XXI Corps Cavalry Regiment and remained with it in Palestine for the rest of the war.
- When “A” Squadron left the rest of the regiment moved to the Crowborough area and came under command of the 2/1st London Division.
- On 29 June 1915 regimental HQ and “C” Squadron left to join 23rd Division.
- They landed at Le Havre in France on 28 August 1915.
- Between 20 April and 4 May 1916 they were attached to the 1st Cavalry Division.
- On 14 June 1916 they were reunited with “D” Squadron in forming the III Corps Cavalry Regiment.
- “D” Squadron left to join 14th (Light) Division at Aldershot in spring 1915.
- It landed at Le Havre on 23 May 1915.
- On 14 June 1916 it was reunited with HQ and “C” Squadron in forming the III Corps Cavalry Regiment.
- III Corps Cavalry Regiment was formed at Beaucourt, being made up of the two squadrons of the Duke of Lancaster’s and “C” Squadron of the Surrey Yeomanry.
- On 28 August 1917 the men were sent to the Base Depot for training as infantry: on 29 September they were absorbed into the 12th (Service) Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.
2/1st Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a “second line” (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the Western Mounted Brigade.
- By March 1916 it had moved to Cupar in Fife and the brigade was renamed as the 21st Mounted Brigade.
- In July 1916 the regiment was converted to become a cyclist unit and came under the 14th Cyclist Brigade.
- The brigade was renamed as the 10th Cyclist Brigade in October 1916 and was still at Cupar. In January 1918 the brigade moved to Lincolnshire with the 2/1st going to Alford and Skegness.
- In May 1918 the brigade moved to Ireland and the regiment was based at Tralee.
3/1st Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry
- Formed in 1915 as a “third line” (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st) and was affiliated to a Reserve Regiment of Cavalry at the Curragh. In summer 1916 it was affiliated to the 10th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry but early in 1917 was absorbed into the 6th Reserve Regiment.
The regimental collection is at
Museum of Lancashire
Tel: 01772 534075