The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908. It was headquartered at Railway Street in Beverley, with the squadrons being headquartered as shown below, and under command of the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.
A Squadron: Hull
B Squadron: Beverley (with drill stations at North Cave, Hornsea and Patrington)
C Squadron: Fulford (Dunnington)
D Squadron: Driffield (Hunmanby, Pocklington, Settrington and Bridlington).
1/1st East Riding Yeomanry
- Early 1915 : regiment left brigade and joined 2nd Northumbrian Division near Newcastle.
- May 1915 : regiment left brigade and joined North Midland Mounted Brigade of 1st Mounted Division in Norfolk.
- 27 October 1915 : brigade embarked at Southampton for Salonika. En route the destination was altered and by the end of November the regiment had arrived at Cairo. Remained in Egypt/Palestine theatre until May 1918.
- April 191 6: brigade renamed 22nd Mounted Brigade and came under orders of the Western Frontier Force.
- February 1917 : brigade came under orders of Anzac Mounted Division.
- July 1917 : brigade under orders of Yeomanry Mounted Division.
- 7 April 1918 : left brigade and formed ‘D’ Battalion Machine Gun Corps with 1/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry.
- 1 June 1918 : landed at Marseilles for service in France. Moved intially to Etaples.
- 17 August 1918 : renamed 102 Battalion MGC.
2/1st East Riding Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a “second line” (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the 2/1st Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.
- March 1916 : by now in Beverley area, brigade was redesignated 18th Mounted Brigade.
- July 1916 : converted into a cyclist unit under 11th Cyclist Brigade.
- November 1916 : by now in Bridlington area, brigade retitled as 7th Cyclist Brigade.
- April 1918 : brigade moved to Ireland, with regiment at Bandon and Fermoy to end of war.
3/1st East Riding Yeomanry
- Formed in 1915 as a “third line” (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st). Was affiliated to 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at York.
- February 1917 : absorbed into 1st Reserve Cavalry Regiment at the Curragh in Ireland.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the East Riding Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 50001-55000. Corps of Lancers.
The regimental collection is at
Tel: 01482 881974