Headquarters and “A” Squadron at the Barracks in Gloucester; “B” Squadron at Stroud; “C” at Newport; “D” at Bristol.
August 1914 : under command of the 1st South Midland Mounted Brigade, the regiment moved on mobilisation to Bury St Edmunds; brigade came under command of 1st Mounted Division.
31 August 1914 : moved with brigade to Newbury and transferred to 2nd Mounted Division.
Moved to Kings Lynn in November 1914.
April 1915 : moved to Egypt, arriving Alexandria 24 April.
August 1915 : landed at Gallipoli, dismounted. Landed at “A” Beach, Suvla Bay on 18 August. Took part in attack on Chocolate Hill and Hill 112 on 21 August.
Early September 1915 : Severe sickness, together with battle casualties, resulted in temporary reorganisation
together with 1/1st Warwickshire and 1/1st Worcestershire Yeomanry, to form 1st South Midland Regiment, 1st Composite Mounted Brigade. Continued in trench warfare activities in Green Hill and Chocolate Hill sectors until evacuated to Mudros on 31 October 1915, with a strength of only 81 men of all ranks.
December 1915 : withdrew from Gallipoli and returned to Egypt.
January 1916 : Brigade became an independent command and was retitled as 5th Mounted Brigade.
February 1917 : Brigade transferred to Imperial Mounted Division.
June 1917 : Division retitled Australian Mounted Division.
August 1918 : brigade retitled 13th Cavalry Brigade and transferred to 5th Cavalry Division.
Formed in September 1914 as a Second-Line unit. and remained in UK until going to Ireland late in the war. Initially attached to 2/1st Mounted Brigade, which was attached to to 2/2nd Mounted Division in June 1915. In March
1916, Brigade was redesignated 10th Mounted Brigade in 3rd Mounted Division. In July 1916, converted into a Cyclist unit and attached to 8th Cyclist Brigade of 2nd Cyclist Division. The latter was broken up in November 1916, and the Regiment became half of the 12th (Gloucestershire and Worcestershire) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment,
attached to 4th Cyclist Brigade. Moved to Ireland in April 1918.
Formed as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
Remained in United Kingdom until until absorbed by 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment in early 1917.