Regimental headquarters and “A” Squadron at Prince Alfred Road, Liverpool; “B” Squadron at Ashton-in-Makerfield; “C” at Newton-le-Willows; “D” at Rainhill
1/1st Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry
- Formed in April 1908 for the Territorial Force and headquartered in Liverpool, the regiment was under command of the Welsh Border Mounted Brigade.
- On completing mobilisation it August 1914 it moved to Kent with the West Lancashire Division.
- In April 1915, still in Kent, it transferred to the 2nd West Lancashire Division.
- In October 1915 the regiment was split up as follows;
- Headquarters and “B” Squadron went on 27 November 1915 to join 31st Division at Salisbury Plain. Next month it went to Egypt with the division. It moved to France in March 1916. Between 27 April and 10 May 1916 it was attached to the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division before the 1/1st came back together, now known as VIII Corps Cavalry Regiment, on 11 May 1916.
- “C” Squadron went on 14 November 1915 to join 35th Division at Salisbury Plain. It landed at Le Havre in France on 1 February 1916 and rejoined 1/1st on 10 May 1916.
- “D” Squadron went on 29 October 1915 to join 30th Division at Salisbury Plain. It landed at Le Havre in France on 10 November 1915. Between 13 and 26 April 1916 it was attached to the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division before it rejoined 1/1st on 10 May 1916.
- During July 1917 the regiment was dismounted and sent for infantry training. It was absorbed into the 18th (Service) Battalion of the King’s (Liverpool Regiment) on 24 September 1917.
2/1st Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a “second line” (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the Western Mounted Brigade.
- By March 1916 it had moved to Cupar in Fife and the brigade was renamed as the 21st Mounted Brigade.
- In July 1916 the regiment was converted to become a cyclist unit and came under the 14th Cyclist Brigade.
- The brigade was renamed as the 10th Cyclist Brigade in October 1916 and was still at Cupar although the 2/1st went to St Andrews in July 1917. In January 1918 the brigade moved to Lincolnshire with the 2/1st going to Skegness.
- In May 1918 the brigade moved to Ireland and the regiment was based at Bandon and Buttevant in County Cork.
3/1st Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry
- Formed in 1915 as a “third line” (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st) and was affiliated to a Reserve Regiment of Cavalry at the Curragh. In summer 1916 it was affiliated to the 10th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry but early in 1917 was absorbed into the 2nd Reserve Regiment.
- When the 1/1st was converted into infantry the 3/1st was reconstituted and transferred to (absorbed into) the 5th Reserve Battalion of the King’s (Liverpool Regiment) at Oswestry.
The regimental collection is at
Museum of Lancashire
Tel: 01772 534075