The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the North Midland Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered in the Old Barracks in Lincoln with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Sqn: Grantham (and drill stations at Stamford, Bourne and Holbeach)
B Sqn: Louth (Spilsby, Horncastle and Alford)
C Sqn: Lincoln (Sleaford, Gainsborough, Market Rasen, Wragby)
D Squadron: Grimsby (Barton, Brigg, Scunthorpe, Ulceby)
Cap badge of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry
1/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry
- August 1914 : moved with the rest of the brigade to Norfolk and placed under orders of 1st Mounted Division.
- 27 October 1915 : brigade embarked at Southampton for Salonika. En route, the destination was altered and by the end of November the regiment had arrived at Cairo. Remained in Egypt/Palestine theatre until May 1918.
- April 1916 : brigade renamed 22nd Mounted Brigade and under orders of Western Frontier Force.
- February 1917: brigade under orders of Anzac Mounted Division.
- July 1917: brigade under orders of Yeomanry Mounted Division.
- 7 April 1918 : left brigade and formed ‘D’ Battalion Machine Gun Corps with 1/1st East Riding Yeomanry.
- 1 June 1918: landed at Marseilles for service in France. Moved initially to Etaples.
- 17 August 1918: renamed 102 Battalion MGC.
2/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a “second line” (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the 2/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade.
- October 1915 : moved with the brigade to Norfolk and placed under orders of 1st Mounted Division, replacing 1/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade when it left for Salonika.
- April 1916 : brigade renamed 3rd Mounted Brigade.
- July 1916 : at Holt. Converted into a cyclist unit, under orders of 3rd Cyclist Brigade in 1st Cyclist Division.
- November 1916 : became a mounted unit again, at Bishop’s Stortford; brigade renamed 2nd Mounted Brigade and came under orders of a new 1st Mounted Brigade (formerly 3rd and 2/2nd Mounted Divisions).
- By May 1917 : moved to Leybourne in Kent.
- August 191 7: converted into a cyclist unit, under orders of 12th Cyclist Brigade in Cyclist Division. Moved to Tonbridge.
- July 1918: moved to Canterbury and then remained there.
3/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry
- Formed in 1915 as a “third line” (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st).
- 1916: affiliated to 12th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Aldershot.
- Early 1917: absorbed into 1st Reserve Cavalry Regiment at the Curragh.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Lincolnshire Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 55001-60000. Corps of Lancers.
Machine Gun Corps
The regimental collection is at
Museum of Lincolnshire Life
Tel: 01522 782040