The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the South Wales Mounted Brigade. The predecessor was the Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry which saw service in the Boer War. It was headquartered at Welshpool with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Squadron: Llanfyllin (and drill stations at Meifod, Llanrhaiadr, Llanfihangel, Llangewyn, Trefonen, Llanfair and Llansiantffraid)
B Squadron: Welshpool (Guilsfield, Castle Ceireinion, Four Crosses, Chirbury, Berriew, Trewern and Forden)
C Squadron: Newtown (Church Stoke, Caersws, New Mills, Llanbrynmair, Montgomery, Trefeglwys, Bettws, Cemmaes Road, Dolfor and Llangurig)
D Squadron: Llandrindod Wells (LLanidloes, Builth Wells, Rhayader, Llanbister, Knighton and Hay on Wye)
1/1st Montgomeryshire Yeomanry
This is the original, ‘first line’ regiment
August 1914 : moved with the brigade to Hereford.
29 August 1914 : moved to Thetford in Norfolk, later going on to Aylsham near Blickling.
Brigade came under command of 1st Mounted Division.
By late September 1915 was at Holt and in October moved to Cromer.
November 1915 : dismounted.
4 March 1916 : sailed from Devonport for service in Middle East. Arrived Alexandria 11 March.
20 March 1916 : brigade joined with Welsh Border Mounted Brigade to form 4th Dismounted Brigade, under command of Western Frontier Force.
[1 January 1917: a draft of c. 40 men under Capt. H. D. Clinch were on the troopship”Ivernia” when it was torpedoed in the Mediterranean]
4 March 1917 : merged with 1/1st Welsh Horse to form 25th (Montgomery & Welsh Horse Yeomanry) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Placed under command of 231st Brigade in 74th (Yeomanry) Division. [Note: I have found from men’s service records that troops transferred to RWF on 16 December 1916 but it is not certain that this applied to all]
May 1918 : moved with division to France.
Formed as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914 and remained at home throughout the war.
July 1915 : moved to Dorchester and placed under orders of 2/1st South Wales Mounted Brigade.
September 1915 : moved with brigade to Southwold; brigade now under orders of 1st Mounted Division.
April 1916: now at Rendlesham, brigade became 4th Mounted Brigade. Absorbed 2/1st Welsh Horse.
July 1916: moved to Thorndon Park (Brentwood) and joined 2nd Mounted Brigade of new 1st Mounted Division.
October 1916: converted to a cyclist unit and with 2/1st Denbighshire Yeomanry formed 3rd (Denbigh & Montgomery) Yeomanry Cyclist Battalion, under orders of 1st Cyclist Brigade, at Worlingham.
March 1917 : resumed identity.
By November 1917 was at Gorleston and there remained.
Formed as a Third-Line training unit in June 1915. Moved to Brecon.
Affiliated to 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment and joined it at the Curragh camp, Kildare, Ireland.
By September 1915: at Marlborough Barracks in Dublin, later to Arbour Hill Barracks. Participated in action against the nationalist rising in Dublin in April 1916.
June 1916 : moved to Gobowen and then Oswestry.
Early 1917: disbanded: troops posted to to 2/1st Montgomershire Yeomanry and 4th Reserve Bn, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 135001-140000. Corps of Dragoons.
The regimental collection is at
The Canal Wharf
Tel: 01938 554656