The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and attached for training to the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at Northumberland Road in Newcastle-on-Tyne with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Squadron: Riding School, Northumberland Rd, Newcastle.
B Squadron: Woodside House, South Shields (and drill stations at Sunderland, Darlington, Spennymoor and West Hartlepool)
C Squadron: Fenwick Grove, Morpeth (Alnwick, Ashington, Rothbury, North Shields and Eglingham)
D Squadron: Causey Hill Farm, Hexham (Stanley, Prudhoe, Allendale and Wark-on-Tyne)
The cap badge of the Northumberland Yeomanry
1/1st Northumberland Yeomanry
August 1914: mobilised.
September 1914: moved to Lyndhurst (Hampshire) and placed under orders of 7th Division.
6 October 1914 : landed at Zeebrugge (Belgium).
April 1915: split up:
– Regimental HQ and A Squadron: remained with division.
– B Squadron: 13 April 1915 placed under orders of 1st Division.
– C Squadron: 12 April 1915 placed under orders of 8th Division.
April May 1916 : reformed and became XIII Corps Cavalry Regiment. Regimental HQ and A Squadron rejoined 13 May, B Sqn 18 April, C Sqn 13 May.
August 1917 : left corps, attached to VIII Corps.
November 1917: transferred to III Corps.
8 October 1918 : transferred to XII Corps.
Formed as a Second-Line regiment in October 1914 and moved to Gosforth Park.
May 1915: moved to Scarborough.
April 1916 : began to be split up, although A Sqn remained at Scarborough.
– Regimental HQ and B Squadron placed under orders of 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division, initially at Salisbury Plain and later East Anglia. Left division January 1917.
– C Squadron joined 59th (2nd North Midland) Division on 28 March 1916 and went with division to Ireland. Left division January 1917.
February 1917 : reformed in Hertfordshire.
19 March 1917 : landed at Le Havre.
26 March 1917 : became XIX Corps Cavalry Regiment.
28 August 1917 : moved to Etaples for training as infantry.
25 September 1917 : absorbed into 9th Bn, the Northumberland Fusiliers which then changed title to 9th (Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry) Battalion.
Formed as a Third-Line training unit in February 1915. Moved to Gosforth Park and later to Stocksfield-on-Tyne.
Summer 1915 : affiliated to 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at York.
Early 1917: absorbed into 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 270001-275000. Corps of Hussars.
This page is dedicated to the memory of George “G. B.” Jameson, who landed at Zeebrugge with the regiment. He is among those men who inspired and encouraged me to learn about the Great War.
The regimental collection is at
‘A Soldier’s Life’
Tel: 0191 239 6789