Royal East Kent Yeomanry (The Duke of Connaught’s Own) (Mounted Rifles)


Regimental headquarters at Canterbury; “A” Squadron at Chatham; “B” at Faversham; “C” at Diver; “D” at Ashford.


Under command of the South Eastern Mounted Brigade.
24 September 1915 : dismounted, the brigade sailed from Liverpool to Gallipoli, landing on 8 October 1915 and coming under orders of 42nd (East Lancashire) Division.
January 1916 : withdrew from Gallipoli and moved to Mudros.
February 1916 : moved to Egypt where brigade was absorbed into 3rd Dismounted Brigade.
1 February 1917 : with East Kent Yeomanry formed 10th Bn, the Buffs and came under orders of 230th Brigade in 74th (Yeomanry) Division.
7 May 1918 : landed at Marseilles and spent rest of war on Western Front.


Formed in 1914 and remained in UK until April 1918 when moved to Ireland. Based at Herne Bay until July 1916.
Converted into a cyclist unit in July 1916.


Formed as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
Remained in United Kingdom until until disbanded in early 1917. Troops dispersed to 2/1st Regiment and some to 4th Reserve Battalion of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment).


Other regiments of Yeomanry

42nd (East Lancashire) Division

Dismounted Brigades in Egypt

74th (Yeomanry) Division

Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Regimental museum