The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the Welsh Border Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at Penrith with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Squadron: Kendal (with drill stations at Carnforth, Kirkby Lonsdale, Ulverston and Windermere)
B Squadron: Penrith (Keswick, Temple Sowerby and Cockermouth)
C Squadron: Whitehaven (Workington, Maryport and Barrow in Furness)
D Squadron: Carlisle (Wigton and Alston).
1/1st Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry
- In spring 1915 the regiment was split up as follows:
- Regimental HQ and D Sqn came under command of 20th (Light) Division at Larkhill in June 1915; landed at Le Havre 24 July 1915; attached to 2nd Cavalry Division between 30 April and 14 May 1916; 15 May 1916 became XI Corps Cavalry Regiment.
- A Sqn was split up between the three other squadrons.
- B Sqn joined 15th (Scottish) Division at Marlborough (Wiltshire) on 23 June 1915; landed in France in July 1915; attached to 1st Cavalry Division between 2 and 16 April 1916; 15 May 1916 rejoined Regimental HQ as above.
- C Sqn joined 18th (Eastern) Division on Salisbury Plain on 15 June 1915; landed in France in July 1915; attached to 1st Cavalry Division between in May 1916; 15 May 1916 rejoined Regimental HQ as above
- 21 July 1917 : moved to Douchy-les-Ayette for training with VII Corps. Soon afterwards to base depot to be trained as infantry.
- 22 September 1917 : officers and men transferred to Border Regiment and regiment absorbed into 7th (Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry) Battalion of the Border Regiment.
2/1st Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a “second line” (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st.
- By July 1915 : had come under orders of Western Mounted Brigade. Moved to Cupar (Fife) by April 1916, whereupon brigade renamed as 21st Mounted Brigade.
- July 1916 : converted to a cyclist unit under orders of 14th Cyclist Brigade, still at Cupar. Brigade renamed 10th Cyclist Brigade in October 1916.
- Brigade moved to Lincolnshire in late 1917 and regiment to Spilsby and Burgh-le-Marsh.
- May 1918: moved to Ireland where it then remained, stationed at Buttevant and Charleville.
3/1st Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry
- Formed as a “third line” (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st) around May 1915
- Summer 1916: affiliated to 10th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at the Curragh.
- February 1917: absorbed into 2nd Reserve Cavalry Regiment at the Curragh. When 1/1st was converted into infantry, the troops of 3/1st were transferred to the 5th Reserve Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 315001-320000. Corps of Hussars.
The regimental collection is at
Tel: 017684 86450
Fax: 017684 86223