CCLV, CCLVI, CCLVIII (Howitzer) and CCLX Brigades (51st Divisional Artillery)

These units was formed in 1908 for the new Territorial Force. They were originally known as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Highand Brigades RFA and later as 255, 256 and 258 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

CCLV (1/1st Highland)

  • The 1st Highland Brigade RFA TF was based at Silver Street, Aberdeen. It comprised a headquarters, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd City of Aberdeen Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was embodied when the army was mobilised on 4-5 August 1914.
  • The brigade came under orders of the Highland Division and went to France with the division in early May 1915.
  • Initially equipped with obsolescent 15-pounder field guns, the brigade was re-equipped with the modern 18-pounder on 28 August 1915.
  • A “D” Battery, armed with 18-pounders, was added on 14 April 1916.
  • On 15 May 1916 the brigade was named as 255 Brigade RFA TF and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Batteries were renamed as “A”, “B” and “C”.
  • Also on 15 May 1916, “D” Battery left and became “A” Battery of 258 Brigade; the 1st Renfrewshire Battery joined from 258 and became 255’s new “D” Battery.

CCLVI (1/2nd Highland)

  • The 2nd Highland Brigade RFA TF was based at the Drill Hall on Brown Street, Dundee. It comprised a headquarters, the Forfarshire, Fifeshire and City of Dundee Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was embodied when the army was mobilised on 4-5 August 1914.
  • The brigade came under orders of the Highland Division and went to France with the division in early May 1915.
  • Initially equipped with obsolescent 15-pounder field guns, the brigade was re-equipped with the modern 18-pounder on 28 August 1915.
  • A “D” Battery, armed with 18-pounders, was added on 7 April 1916.
  • On 19 May 1916 the brigade was named as 256 Brigade RFA TF and the Forfarshire, Fifeshire and City of Dundee Batteries were renamed as “A”, “B” and “C”.
  • Also on 19 May 1916, “D” Battery left and became “B” Battery of 258 Brigade; the “R” (Howitzer) Battery joined from 258 and became 256’s new “D” Battery.

CCLVIII (1/3rd Highland) (Howitzer)

  • The 3rd Highland (Howitzer) Brigade RFA TF was based at 8 South Street, Greenock. It comprised a headquarters, the 1st and 2nd Renfrewshire (Howitzer) Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was embodied when the army was mobilised on 4-5 August 1914.
  • The brigade came under orders of the Highland Division and went to France with the division in early May 1915.
  • Initially equipped with obsolescent 5-inch howitzers, the brigade was re-equipped with the modern 4.5-inch on 11 January 1916.
  • On 8 February 1916 “D” (Howitzer) Battery joined from 151 Brigade and was named “R” (Howitzer) Battery.
  • On 17 May 1916 the brigade was named as 258 Brigade RFA TF and the 1st and 2nd Renfrewshire (Howitzer) Batteries left to join 255 and 260 Brigades respectively. “R” (Howitzer) Battery also left to join 256 Brigade.
  • Also on 17 May 1916, the “D” (18-pounder field gun) Batteries of 255, 256 and 257 (see below) Brigades joined and were renamed as 258’s new “A”, “B” and “C” Batteries.
  • The brigade was broken up on 21 August 1916. “A” and one section of “C” Batteries went to join 255 Brigade; “B” and the other section of “C” went to256 Brigade.

260 (1st Lowland) Brigade RFA TF

  • This brigade joined the 51st Division on 10 November 1915. For its earlier service please see 52nd (Lowland) Division
  • It was renumbered 257 Brigade on 15 May 1916 but then renumbered again, becoming 260 Brigade on 3 June 1916. Also on 15 May 1916 its four batteries were lettered from “A” to “D”.
  • On 15-17 May 1916 “D” Battery left to join 258 Brigade as its new “C” Battery, and 2nd Renfrewshire (Howitzer) Battery joined from 258 and became 260’s new “D” (Howitzer) Battery.
  • On 23 August 1916, two-gun sections from “C” Battery went to bring “A” and “B” up to six guns each.
  • On 18 November 1916, 535 (Howitzer) Battery arrived from home and was renamed as “C” (Howitzer) Battery.
  • The brigade was broken up on 28 January 1917. A” Battery went to 315 Brigade as its new “C” Battery; “B” Battery went to 81 Brigade as its “C” Battery; one section of “C” (Howitzer) Battery went to “D” (Howitzer) Battery of 265 Brigade; and the other section went to “D” (Howitzer) Battery of 266 Brigade; “D” (Howitzer) Battery went to join 84 Brigade.

Links

Other Royal Field Artillery units

51st (Highland) Division

Order of Battle of Divisions