CLIII and CLIV (Howitzer) Brigades (36th Divisional Artillery)

These units were raised by the British Empire League in the Croydon and South London area in 1915 and are sometimes known as 153 and 154 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

CLIII (Empire)

  • This brigade joined 36 (Ulster) Division but initially remained in England when the Division landed in France. It comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns. The battery eventually landed at Le Havre on 27 November 1915 and then rejoined the Division. You can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the Division
    • On 21 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 154 Brigade as its C Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of C (Howitzer) Battery from 154 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left 16-18 May 1916 to be absorbed into 36th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 14 September 1916 A Battery was broken up and one two-gun section went to the brigade’s B and C Batteries to bring them up to six guns each. At the same time, A Battery joined from 154 Brigade and became the 153 Brigade’s A Battery.
    • On 13 January 1917 a section of two howitzers joined D (Howitzer) Battery from D (Howitzer) Battery of 177 Brigade.

CLXIV (Howitzer) (Empire)

  • This brigade joined 36 (Ulster) Division but initially remained in England when the Division landed in France. It comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four howitzers. The battery eventually also landed at Le Havre on 27 November 1915 and then rejoined the Division. You can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the Division
    • On 28 February 1916 A (Howitzer) Battery left to join 46th (North Midland) Division. It eventually became D (Howitzer) Battery of 231 Brigade.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left 16-18 May 1916 to be absorbed into 36th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 21 May 1916 B, C and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left, joining 173, 153 and 172 Brigades respectively (all in 36th Division). They were replaced by the D Batteries arriving from these brigades, which were then renamed as B, C and A Batteries of 154 Brigade.
    • On 11-14 September 1916 C Battery was broken up and one two-gun section went to the brigade’s A and B Batteries to bring them up to six guns each. The whole brigade was then broken up, with A Battery going to 153 Brigade as its A Battery, and B Battery going to 173Brigade as its B Battery.

 

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

36th (Ulster) Division

46th (North Midland) Division

Order of Battle of Divisions