CXIV, CXV, CXVI and CXVII (Howitzer) Brigades (26th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the Third New Army, K3. They are also sometimes shown as 114, 115, 116 and 117 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

CXIV

  • This brigade was originally comprised of A, B, C and D Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 26th Division. The batteries were all armed with four 18-pounder field guns. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 20 July 1916 A Battery left, becoming the A Battery of 117 Brigade. D Battery was renamed as A Battery.
    • On 12 June 1917 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 100 Brigade (of 22nd Division).
    • D (Howitzer) Brigade left to join 77 Brigade on 19 October 1917.

CXV

  • This brigade was originally comprised of A, B, C and D Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 26th Division. The batteries were all armed with four 18-pounder field guns. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 20 July 1916 D Battery left, becoming the B Battery of 117 Brigade. B (Howitzer) Battery joined from the same brigade and was renamed renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 27 December 1916 C Battery was broken up, with two-gun sections going to A and B Batteries to make them up to six guns each.

CXVI

  • This brigade was originally comprised of A, B, C and D Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 26th Division. The batteries were all armed with four 18-pounder field guns. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 20 July 1916 D Battery left, becoming the C Battery of 117 Brigade. C (Howitzer) Battery joined from the same brigade and was renamed renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 28 December 1916 C Battery was broken up, with two-gun sections going to A and B Batteries to make them up to six guns each.

CXVII (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of A, B, C and D Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 26th Division. The batteries were all armed with four 4.5-inch howitzers. The brigade then remained with the division until early June 1917: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 17 May 1916 A (Howitzer) Battery left to join 77 (Howitzer) Brigade (in 10th (Irish) Division).
    • On 20 July 1916 B (Howitzer) Battery left to join 105 Brigade and was renamed as its D (Howitzer) Battery; and C (Howitzer) Battery went to 106 Brigade and was renamed as its D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • Also on 20 July 1916 A Battery joined from 114 Brigade, D Battery joined from 115 Brigade and D Battery from 116 Brigade joined and became this brigade’s new A, B and C Batteries.
    • Between 26 and 30 December 1916 A Battery was broken up and two-gun sections went to B and C Batteries to bring them up to six guns each. C Battery was then renamed as A Battery.
    • On 3 June 1917 the brigade left 26th Division and was attached to the 60th (2/2nd London) Division. The brigade was then reorganised as three batteries each of four field guns (A, B and C Batteries) and one of four howitzers (D).
    • The brigade them moved to Egypt, arriving at Alexandria on 5 July 1917.
    • On 6 July 1917 C Battery was broken up and two-gun sections went to A and B Batteries to bring them up to six guns each; D (Howitzer) Battery was then renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 9 August 1917 the brigade joined 74th (Yeomanry) Division and remained with it for the rest of the war.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

26th Division

Order of Battle of Divisions