CXIX, CXX, CXXI and CXXII (Howitzer) Brigades (38th Divisional Artillery)

CXIX

  • This brigade was originally raised under orders for the establishment of the 30th Division, one of the formations of the Fourth New Army. In April 1915 this New Army was broken up and 30th Division ceased to exist. (The 30th Division that replaced it was originally called the 37th Division and was from the Fifth New Army). At that point the brigade’s name and personnel were transferred to the 38th (Welsh) Division, where they took over what had been originally raised as Number 2 Battery.
  • The brigade was comprised of A, B, C and D Batter ies RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The batteries were all armed with four 18-pounder field guns. The brigade then remained with the 38th (Welsh) Division until January 1917: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • Between 15 and 21 May 1916 the Ammunition Column left, to be merged with the 38th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 A Battery left, becoming the A Battery of 122 Brigade. D Battery was renamed as A Battery. D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 122 Brigade.
    • On 28 August C Battery was split up, with its two-gun sections going to A and B Batteries to bring them up to six guns each.
    • On 29 August 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 120 Brigade and was renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 14 January 1917 C (Howitzer) Battery was split up, with two-howitzer sections going to the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 121 and 122 Brigades to bering them up to six howitzers each. The brigade then left the 38th (Welsh) Division and became an Army Brigade.
    • On the same date, B Battery joined from 179 Brigade (in 39th Division) and was renamed as C Battery.
    • On 18 January 1917 a section of two joined from D (Howitzer) Battery of 179 Brigade to bring D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.
    • On the same date, Number 3 Section of the 39th Divisional Ammunition Column joined the brigade and became its Brigade Ammunition Column.

CXX

  • This brigade was originally raised under orders for the establishment of the 30th Division, one of the formations of the Fourth New Army. In April 1915 this New Army was broken up and 30th Division ceased to exist. (The 30th Division that replaced it was originally called the 37th Division and was from the Fifth New Army). At that point the brigade’s name and personnel were transferred to the 38th (Welsh) Division, where they took over what had been originally raised as Number 1 (Cardiff) Battery.
  • The brigade was comprised of A, B, C and D Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The batteries were all armed with four 18-pounder field guns. The brigade then remained with the 38th (Welsh) Division until August 1916: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • Between 15 and 21 May 1916 the Ammunition Column left, to be merged with the 38th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 B Battery left, becoming the B Battery of 122 Brigade. D Battery was renamed as B Battery. B (Howitzer) Battery joined from 122 Brigade and was renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 28-29 August 1916 the brigade was broken up. B Battery was split up, with its two-gun sections going to A Battery of this brigade and the other to B Battery of 122 Brigade, to bring them up to six guns each. At the same time, A Battery moved to 121 Brigade and C Battery went to 122 Brigade. D (Howitzer) Battery went to 119 Brigade and was renamed as its C (Howitzer) Battery.

CXXI

  • This brigade was originally raised under orders for the establishment of the 30th Division, one of the formations of the Fourth New Army.
  • In April 1915 this New Army was broken up and 30th Division ceased to exist. (The 30th Division that replaced it was originally called the 37th Division and was from the Fifth New Army). At that point the brigade’s name and personnel were transferred to the 38th (Welsh) Division, where they took over what had been originally raised as Number 1 (Cardiff) Battery.
  • The brigade was comprised of A, B, C and D Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The batteries were all armed with four 18-pounder field guns. The brigade then remained with the 38th (Welsh) Division for the rest of the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • Between 15 and 21 May 1916 the Ammunition Column left, to be merged with the 38th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 C Battery left, becoming the C Battery of 122 Brigade. D Battery was renamed as C Battery. D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 122 Brigade and became this brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.

The history of CXXII will shortly be added to this page.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

38th (Welsh) Division

Order of Battle of Divisions