CXLVIII, CXLIX, CL and CLI (Howitzer) Brigades (30th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed in 1915 and are sometimes known as 148, 149, 150 and 151 Brigades RFA.

CXLVIII (County Palatine)

  • This brigade joined 30th Division at Grantham by 13 August 1915. It comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns. You can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division
    • On 21 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 151 Brigade as its A Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of A (Howitzer) Battery from 151 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 25-26 August 1916 C Battery was broken up, and its two-gun sections joined A and B Batteries to bring them up to six guns each. A Battery joined from 151 Brigade and became 148 Brigade’s C Battery.
    • On 2 January 1917 a two-howitzer section joined from D (Howitzer) Battery of 150 Brigade and was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.

CXLIX (County Palatine)

  • This brigade joined 30th Division at Grantham by 13 August 1915. It comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns. You can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division
    • On 21 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 151 Brigade as its B Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of B (Howitzer) Battery from 151 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 26 August – 2 September 1916 B Battery was broken up, and its two-gun sections joined A and C Batteries to bring them up to six guns each. B Battery joined from 151 Brigade and became 149 Brigade’s B Battery.
    • On 2 January 1917 a two-howitzer section joined from D (Howitzer) Battery of 150 Brigade and was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.

CL (County Palatine)

  • This brigade joined 30th Division at Grantham by 13 August 1915. It comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns. You can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division
    • On 21 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 151 Brigade as its C Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of D (Howitzer) Battery from 151 Brigade, became 150 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 26 August – 2 September 1916 A Battery was broken up, and its two-gun sections joined B and C Batteries to bring them up to six guns each. C Battery was then renamed as a new A Battery.
    • On 10 November 1916 514 (Howitzer) Battery joined from England and was renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • D (Howitzer) Battery was broken up on 2 January 1917, with its two-howitzer sections going to the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 148 and 149 Brigades respectively, to bring them up to six howitzers. C (Howitzer) Battery was then renamed as a new D (Howitzer) Battery. A Battery joined from 247 Brigade (49th (West Riding) Division) and wasrenamed as a new C Battery. A section of two howitzers joined D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The brigade then left 30th Division and became an Army Field Artillery Brigade.

CLI (County Palatine) (Howitzer)

  • This brigade joined 30th Division at Grantham by 13 August 1915. It comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 4.5-inch howitzers. You can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 8 February 1916 C (Howitzer) Battery left and joined III Highland (Howitzer) Brigade in 51st (Highland) Division.
    • On 21 May 1916 A, B and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left, joining 148, 149 and 150 Brigades respectively (all in 30th Division). They were replaced by the D Batteries arriving from these brigades, which were then renamed as A, B and C Batteries of 151 Brigade.
    • The brigade was broken up on 26 August 1916 and ceased to exist. A Battery and a two-gun section of C went to 148 Brigade as its new C Battery. B Battery and the other two-gun section of C went to 149 Brigade as its new B Battery.

 

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

30th Division

Order of Battle of Divisions