L to LIII (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (9th Divisional Artillery)

These four brigades were formed as part of the raising of the First New Army, K1. They are also sometimes shown as 50 to 53 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

L

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 160, 161 and 162 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 9th (Scottish) Division and went to France with it in May 1915.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 21 February 1916 D Battery left to join 53 Brigade of the same Division, being replaced by the former B (Howitzer) Battery of that brigade which now became D/50.
    • On 8 September 1916, A and B were increased to six guns when joined by sections from B Battery of 53 Brigade, and the same happened to C Battery which was joined by a section from C/53.
    • Two howitzers made D Battery up to six when a section joined from D/52 on 9 January 1917.

LI

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 163, 164 and 165 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 9th (Scottish) Division and went to France with it in May 1915.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 21 February 1916 D Battery left to join 53 Brigade of the same Division, being replaced by the former D (Howitzer) Battery of that brigade which now became D/51.
    • On 8 September 1916, A and B were increased to six guns when joined by sections from A Battery of 53 Brigade, and the same happened to C Battery which was joined by a section from C/53.
    • Two howitzers made D Battery up to six when a section joined from D/52 on 10 January 1917.

LII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 166, 167 and 168 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 9th (Scottish) Division and went to France with it in May 1915.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 21 February 1916 D Battery left to join 53 Brigade of the same Division, being replaced by the former C (Howitzer) Battery of that brigade which now became D/52.
    • B Battery was broken up in September 1916, with one section going each to A and C Batteries.
    • 508 (Howitzer) Battery joined from England in November 1916.
  • The brigade left 9th (Scottish) Division on 8 January 1917 to become an Army Field Artillery Brigade.
    • At the same time, D (Howitzer) Battery sent sections to join D/50 and D/51 and left this brigade. (Howitzer) Battery was brought up to six guns by the arrival of a section of two from D/158 and was then renamed as D/52.
    • 122 Battery RFA joined from 28 Brigade RFA on 15 March 1917.

LIII (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 169, 170 and 171 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 9th (Scottish) Division and went to France with it on 11 May 1915.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 14 June 1914 A (Howitzer) Battery left to join 129 Brigade of 27th Division and became A/129.
    • B, C and D Batteries were transferred to L, LII and LI Brigades respectively on 21 February 1916.
    • Atthe same time, the D Battery of each of L, LI and LIII joined 53 and became its new A, B and C Batteries.
  • The brigade was broken up between 8 and 11 September 1916.
    • B and half of C Batteries went to L Brigade; A and the other half of C went to LI Brigade, both in the same division.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

The Order of Battle of Divisions