LVIII, LIX, LX and LXI (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (11th Divisional Artillery)

These unit were formed at the RFA’s Number 3 Depot (Hilsea) as part of the raising of the First New Army, K1. They are also sometimes shown as 58, 59, 60 and 61 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA. The brigades moved to Milford Camp in Surrey to continue their training.

LVIII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 184, 185 and 186 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 11th (Northern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • The brigade sailed for operations in the Mediterranean, and arrived at Anzac Beach for operations at Gallipoli on 9 August 1915. A week later it was moved to the Left Flank Artllery in the Suvla Bay area and came under tempoary command of the 10th (Irish) Division. It left Gallipoli on 18 December 1915 and reached Alexandria in Egypt on 2 January 1916.
    • D Battery left to join 133 Brigade RFA on 26 April 1916.
    • On 15 June 1916 a howitzer battery joined from 118 Brigade RFA and became D Battery.
    • In late November 1916, 133 Brigade RFA was broken up and on 29 November all six guns from its A Battery (the former D Battery of 58 Brigade) came back to 58 Brigade and a two-gun section was added to each of A, B, and C Batteries.
    • On 24 January 1917 a section of two howitzers joined from D Battery of 60 Brigade RFA and was added to 58 Brigade’s D Battery.
  • The brigade remained with 11th (Northern) Division throughout the war and saw service in Galipoli, Egypt and France.

LIX

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 187, 188 and 189 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 11th (Northern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • The brigade sailed for operations in the Mediterranean, and A Battery arrived at C Beach (Suvla Bay) for operations at Gallipoli on 7 August 1915. The other batteries arrived at Suvla two days later. It left Gallipoli between 9 and 19 December 1915 and reached Alexandria in Egypt between 22 December 1915 and 2 January 1916.
    • D Battery left to join 133 Brigade RFA on 26 April 1916.
    • On 15 June 1916 a howitzer battery joined from 118 Brigade RFA and became D Battery.
    • In late November 1916, 133 Brigade RFA was broken up and between 8 and 9 December 1916 all six guns from its B Battery (the former D Battery of 59 Brigade) came back to 59 Brigade and a two-gun section was added to each of A, B, and C Batteries.
    • On 25 January 1917 a section of two howitzers joined from D Battery of 60 Brigade RFA and was added to 59 Brigade’s D Battery.
  • The brigade remained with 11th (Northern) Division throughout the war and saw service in Galipoli, Egypt and France.

LX

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 190, 191 and 192 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 11th (Northern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • The brigade sailed for operations in the Mediterraneanin early July 1915, but when the rest of the division moved to Gallipoli in August 1915 this brigade remained in Egypt.
    • D Battery left to join 133 Brigade RFA on 26 April 1916.
    • On 15 July 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 118 (Hoitzer) Brigade RFA.
    • On 25 January 1917 the brigade was broken up. A Battery and one section of C Battery went to 34 Brigade RFA. B Battery and the other section of C Battery went to 84 Brigade RFA. One section of D (Howitzer) Battery went to 58 Brigade RFA and the other to 59 Battery RFA.

LXI (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 193, 194 and 195 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 11th (Northern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • The brigade left 11th (Northern) Division when that formation was ordered to the Mediterranean in late June 1915. It moved to France and came under orders of the Guards Division on 24 August 1915.
    • D Battery left to go to 50th (Northumbrian) Division on 21 February 1916.
    • The brigade was reorganised into two six-gun batteries (A and B) on 14 November 1916. The brigade was then broken up, with A Battery going to 74 Brigade RFA and B going to 75 Brigade RFA.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

The Order of Battle of Divisions