LXII, LXIII, LXIV and LXV (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (12th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the First New Army, K1. They are also sometimes shown as 62, 63, 64 and 65 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

LXII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 196, 197 and 198 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 65 Brigade which was also under command of 12th (Eastern) Division, and was replaced by A (Howitzer) Battery from 65 Brigade RFA. It was then renamed as the new D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The brigade was reorganised on 30 August 1916. C Battery was broken up and a two-gun section from itwas added to each of A and B Batteries. C Battery and half of A Battery joined from 65 Brigade RFA and were made into a new C Battery.
    • On 7 January 1917 a section of two guns joined from C (Howitzer) Batery of 64 Brigade RFA and was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.
  • The brigade remained with 12th (Eastern) Division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.

LXIII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 199, 200 and 201 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 65 Brigade which was also under command of 12th (Eastern) Division, and was replaced by B (Howitzer) Battery from 65 Brigade RFA. It was then renamed as the new D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The brigade was reorganised on 30 August 1916. Half of each of A and B Batteries of 65 Brigade and were added to bring A, B and C batteries up to six guns each. D Battery of 63 Brigade was exchanged with D Battery from 65 Brigade. Brigade HQ also arrived from 65 Brigade and took over command of 63 Brigade.
    • On 7 January 1917 a section of two guns joined from C (Howitzer) Batery of 64 Brigade RFA and was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.
  • The brigade remained with 12th (Eastern) Division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.

LXIV

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 202, 203 and 204 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 65 Brigade which was also under command of 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • The brigade was reorganised on 30 August 1916. C Battery was broken up, with a section going to each of A and B Batteries to bring them up to six guns each.
    • On 11 October 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 63 Brigade RFA and became D (Howitzer) Battery of this brigade.
    • A new C (Howitzer) Battery joined on 7 December 1916.
  • The brigade left 12th (Eastern) Division and became an Army Brigade on 6 January 1917.
    • C (Howitzer) Battery left at this time. It was broken up and two-gun sections went to D (Howitzer) Batteries of 62 and 63 Brigades to bring them up to six guns each.
    • B Battery of 158 Brigade RFA (in 35th Division) joined and became the new C Battery.
    • A section of two guns from D (Howitzer) Battery of 158 Brigade also joined and brought D (Howitzer) battery up to six guns.

LXV (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 205, 206 and 207 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 18 June 1915 C Battery left. It joined 129 Brigade (27th Division) on 6 September 1915.
    • The brigade was reorganised on 25 May 1916. A an B Batteries left to join 62 and 63 Brigades respectively. The D Batteries of 62, 63 and 64 Brigades joined and became A, B and C Batteries of this brigade.
    • The brigade was broken up on 30 August 1916 and then ceased to exist. HQ went to 63 Brigade; one section of A Battery went to 63 Brigade; B Battery joined 63 Brigade but was split to bring other batteries of that brigade up to six guns each; the other section of A Battery joined C Battery, which then joined 62 Brigade; D Battery moved to 63 Brigade.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

The Order of Battle of Divisions