LXX, LXXI, LXXII and LXIII (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (15th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. They are also sometimes shown as 70, 71, 72 and 73 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

LXX

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 220, 221 and 222 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 15th (Scottish) Division and moved to France with it in July 1915.
  • The brigade remained with 15th (Scottish) Division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 22 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 15th Divisional Ammunition Coumn.
    • On 7 June 1916 D Battery left to join 73 (Howitzer) Brigade of the same division, and became that brigade’s B Battery. It was replaced in 70 Brigade by B Battery from 73 (Howitzer) Brigade, which now became 70 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The brigade was reorganised between 1 and 3 December 1916. C Battery was split up, with one two-gun section going to A and B Battery to bring them up to six guns each. Its place was taken by C Battery from 73 (Howitzer) Brigade.
    • On 22 January 1917 a section of two howitzers from 532 (Howitzer) Battery of 72 Brigade joined and was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.

LXXI

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 223, 224 and 225 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 15th (Scottish) Division and moved to France with it in July 1915.
  • The brigade remained with 15th (Scottish) Division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 22 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 15th Divisional Ammunition Coumn.
    • On 7 June 1916 D Battery left to join 73 (Howitzer) Brigade of the same division, and became that brigade’s C Battery. It was replaced in 71 Brigade by C Battery from 73 (Howitzer) Brigade, which now became 71 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The brigade was reorganised between 1 and 3 December 1916. C Battery was split up, with one two-gun section going to A and B Battery to bring them up to six guns each. Its place was taken by B Battery from 73 (Howitzer) Brigade, which now became C of 71 Brigade.
    • On 22 January 1917 a section of two howitzers from 532 (Howitzer) Battery of 72 Brigade joined and was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.

LXXII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 226, 227 and 228 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 15th (Scottish) Division and moved to France with it in July 1915.
  • The brigade remained with 15th (Scottish) Division until 20 January 1917: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 22 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 15th Divisional Ammunition Coumn.
    • On 7 June 1916 D Battery left to join 73 (Howitzer) Brigade of the same division, and became that brigade’s D Battery. It was replaced in 72 Brigade by D Battery from 73 (Howitzer) Brigade, which now became 72 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • 532 (Howitzer) Battery joined on 16 November 1916, having landed at Le Havre five days before.
    • Between 1 and 2 December 1916 C Battery was split up, with one two-gun section going to A and B Battery to bring them up to six guns each.
  • The brigade left the division and became an Army Brigade RFA on 20 January 1917.
    • B Battery of 252 Brigade RFA (of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division) joined on the same date and became 72 Brigade’s C Battery.
    • 532 (Howitzer) Battery left on 22 January 1917, being split into sections that went to 70 and 71 Brigades RFA.
    • A new section of two howitzers joined D Battery by 20 January 1917.

LXXIII (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 229, 230 and 231 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 15th (Scottish) Division and moved to France with it in July 1915.
  • The brigade remained with 15th (Scottish) Division until it was broken up: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-howitzer batteries were reorganised to become four four-howitzer batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 7 August 1915 A (Howitzer) Battery left to join 130 (Howitzer) Brigade of 28th Division and became that brigade’s C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 22 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 15th Divisional Ammunition Coumn.
    • On 7 June 1916 B, C and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left, going to 70, 71 and 72 Brigades RFA respectively. The D Batteries of those three brigades arrived to replace them, becoming B, C and D Batteries respectively.
    • In July B, C and D Batteries were renamed as A, B and C respectively.
  • The brigade was broken up between 1 and 3 December 1916. A Battery was split up, to add a two-gun section to B and C Battery. B left to go to 71 Brigade as its C Battery. C left to go to 70 Brigade as its C Battery.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

The Order of Battle of Divisions