LXXIV, LXXV, LXCVI and LXXVII (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (16th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. They are also sometimes shown as 74, 75, 76 and 77 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

LXXIV

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 232, 233 and 234 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 16th (Irish) Division.
    • On 23 January 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • In July 1915 the brigade left the 16th (Irish) Division and moved via a period on SalisburyPlain to land at Le Havre on 29 August 1915. Next day it came under orders of the new Guards Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 13 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the Guards Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 14 November 1916 the batteries were reorganised to become six-gun units. C Battery sent a section of two guns to join A and B Batteries. A Battery joined from 61 Brigade RFA (of the same division) and became 74 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery. Half of D Battery joined from 76 (Howitzer) Brigade and made D (Howitzer) battery up to six howitzers.

LXXV

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 235, 236 and 237 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 16th (Irish) Division.
    • On 23 January 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • In July 1915 the brigade left the 16th (Irish) Division and moved via a period on SalisburyPlain to land at Le Havre on 3 September 1915. Next day it came under orders of the new Guards Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 13 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the Guards Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 14 November 1916 the batteries were reorganised to become six-gun units. B Battery sent a section of two guns to join A and C Batteries. B Battery joined from 61 Brigade RFA (of the same division) and became 75 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery. Half of D Battery joined from 76 (Howitzer) Brigade and made D (Howitzer) battery up to six howitzers.

LXXVI

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 238, 239 and 240 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 16th (Irish) Division.
    • On 23 January 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • In July 1915 the brigade left the 16th (Irish) Division and moved via a period on SalisburyPlain to land at Le Havre on 3 September 1915. Next day it came under orders of the new Guards Division. The brigade then remained with the division until early 1917: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 13 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the Guards Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On the same date the batteries were reorganised to become six-gun units. A Battery sent a section of two guns to join B and C Batteries. C Battery joined from 61 Brigade RFA (of the same division) and became 76 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
  • On 19 January 1917 the brigade left the division and became an Army Brigade.

LXXVII (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 241, 242 and 243 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 16th (Irish) Division.
    • On 23 January 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • The brigade did not go to France with the division. It left Fermoy on 30 July 1915 and moved to Salisbury Plain before going to Aldershot during August. It was there equipped with 4.5-inch howitzers. On 4 december 1915 it moved to Bordon camp.
  • The brigade landed at Le Havre on 17 and 18 February 1916 and rejoined its division.
    • On 2 June 1916 A, B and D Batteries left and became the D Batteries of 180, 182 and 177 Brigades RFA respectively. C Battery was renamed as D Battery. The D (Howitzer) Batteries arrived from 177, 180 and 182 Brigades RFA and became A, B and C Battery respectively.
    • The brigade was reorganised on 25 August 1916. A Battery was broken up, with a section of two guns going to each of B and C. C Battery was then renamed as A. D Battery joined from 182 Brigade RFA and became this brigade’s new C Battery.
  • The brigade left the division to become an Army Brigade on 22 June 1917.
    • At the same time, D Battery was broken up, with a section of two howitzers going to the D Batteries of 177 and 180 Brigades. C was then renamed as D and was joined by two howitzers arriving from C Battery of 172 Brigade RFA. A Battery joined from 172 Brigade and was renamed as C Battery.
    • A new Brigade Ammunition Column was formed by the arrival of elements of the 16th (Irish) and 36th (Ulster) Divisional Ammunition Columns.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

16th (Irish) Division

The Order of Battle of Divisions