LXXXII, LXXXIII, LXXXIV and LXXXV (Howitzer) Brigades (18th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. They are also sometimes shown as 82, 83, 84 and 85 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

LXXXII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 256, 257 and 258 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 18th (Eastern) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 16 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 17 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 18th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 D Battery left to join 85 Brigade as its A Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of C (Howitzer) Battery from 85 Brigade, which was then renamed as 82 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 3 December 1916 the 18-pounder batteries were made up to six guns each: sections from A Battery joined from 85 Brigade and joined A and C Batteries respectively; a section from C Battery joined from 85 Brigade and joined B Battery.
    • On 9 February 1917 a section of D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 84 Brigade and made D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.

LXXXIII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 259, 260 and 261 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 18th (Eastern) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 16 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 17 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 18th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 D Battery left to join 85 Brigade as its B Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of D (Howitzer) Battery from 85 Brigade, which was then renamed as 83 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 3 December 1916 the 18-pounder batteries were made up to six guns each: sections from B and C Batteries joined from 85 Brigade and joined A, B and C Batteries..
    • On 9 February 1917 a section of D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 84 Brigade and made D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.

LXXXIV

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 262, 263 and 264 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 18th (Eastern) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until late January 1917: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 16 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 17 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 18th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 D Battery left to join 85 Brigade as its C Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of A (Howitzer) Battery from 85 Brigade, which was then renamed as 84 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 3 December 1916 the 18-pounder batteries were made up to six guns each. C Battery sent its tw-gun sections to join A and B Batteries.
  • On 25 January 1917 the brigade left the division and became an Army Brigade.
    • B and a section of C Battery from 60 Brigade joined and became this brigade’s new C Battery on 8 February 1917.
    • On 9 February 1917 D (Howitzer) Battery was broken up, sending a section each to join the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 82 and 83 Brigades.

LXXXV (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 265, 266 and 267 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 18th (Eastern) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until December 1916: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 16 February 1915 the three six-howitzer batteries were reorganised to become four four-howitzer batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • B (Howitzer) Battery left on 8 February 1916, joining 278 Brigade and becoming its C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 17 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 18th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 A, C and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left the brigade and joined 84, 82 and 83 Brigades respectively and became those brigade’s D (Howitzer) Batteries. They were replaced by the D Batteries arriving from 82, 83 and 84 Brigades which became this brigade’s new A, B and C Batteries.
    • The brigade was broken up on 3 December 1916 and its guns used to bring other batteries up to six guns each. A Battery and a section of C Battery went to 82 Brigade; B and the other section of C Battery went to 83 Brigade.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

18th (Eastern) Division

The Order of Battle of Divisions