LXXXVI, LXXXVII, LXXXVIII and LXXXIX (Howitzer) Brigades (19th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. They are also sometimes shown as 86, 87, 88 and 89 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA.

LXXXVI

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 268, 269 and 270 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 19th (Western) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until late January 1917: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 18 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 89 Brigade as its A Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of A (Howitzer) Battery from 89 Brigade, which was then renamed as 89 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • C Battery was broken up on 9 Septembe 1916, with a two-gun section going each toA and B Batteries to make them up to six guns.
    • On 12 November 1916 515 (Howitzer) Battery joined and became C (Howitzer) Battery.
  • The brigade left the division to became an Army Brigade on 25 January 1917.
    • On the same date B Battery joined from 260 Brigade and became this brigade’s C Battery. A section joined from C (Howitzer) Battery of 308 Brigade and made D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.
    • C (Howitzer) Battery left on 28 January 1917 and was then broken up, sections going to 87 and 88 Brigades respectively.

LXXXVII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 271, 272 and 273 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 19th (Western) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the rest of the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 18 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 89 Brigade as its B Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of C (Howitzer) Battery from 89 Brigade, which was then renamed as 89 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 8-9 September 1916 the four-gun 18-pounder batteries were made up to six guns each by the arrival of two-gun sections from other units. Sections from B Battery of 89 Brigade RFA joined A and B Batteries, and a section from A Battery of 89 Brigade joined C Battery.
    • A section from C (Howitzer) Battery joined from 86 Brigade on 28 January 1917, making D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.

LXXXVIII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 274, 275 and 276 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 19th (Western) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the rest of the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 18 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 89 Brigade as its C Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of D (Howitzer) Battery from 89 Brigade, which was then renamed as 89 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 8 September 1916 the four-gun 18-pounder batteries were made up to six guns each by a reorganisation. A section left A Battery to go to B Battery; A Battery was then brought up to six guns by the arrival of the former C Battery from 89 Brigade; a section of A Battery of 89 Brigade arrived to bring C Battery up to six guns.
    • A section from C (Howitzer) Battery joined from 86 Brigade on 28 January 1917, making D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.

LXXXIX (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 277, 278 and 279 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 19th (Western) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until early September 1916 when it was broken up: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • B (Howitzer) Battery left to join 28th Division on 8 September 1915.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 18 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 25 May 1916 the brigade was reorganised. A, C and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left and became the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 86, 87 and 88 Brigades RFA. They were replaced by the D Batteries of those brigades, which became A, B and C Batteries respectively.
    • The brigade was broken up on 8-9 Septenber 1916. A section from A Battery and all of B Battery went to 87 Brigade to bring its batteries up to six guns each. The other section of A went to C Battery of 88 Brigade. C Battery went to join 88 Brigade.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

19th (Western) Division

The Order of Battle of Divisions