XC, XCI, XCII (Howitzer) and XCIII Brigades (20th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. They are also sometimes shown as 90, 91, 92 (Howitzer) and 93 Brigades RFA.

XC

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 280, 281 and 282 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 20th (Light) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until late August 1916 when it was broken up: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
  • On 15 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • D Battery left on 11 May 1916, to go to 92 Brigade and became its A Battery. It was replaced by B (Howitzer) Battery which arrived from 92 Brigade and was renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left between 12 and 15 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 20th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 30 August 1916 the brigade was reorganised and ultimately ceased to exist. First, B Battery was split up, with one section going to A Battery and one to C Battery. A Battery then left to go to 92 Brigade, where it became C Battery. C Battery went to 91 Brigade, where it became B Battery. And finally D (Howitzer) Battery went to 92 Brigade.

XCI

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 283, 284 and 285 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 20th (Light) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the rest of the Great War: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
  • On 15 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • D Battery left on 12 May 1916, to go to 92 Brigade and became its B Battery. It was replaced by C (Howitzer) Battery which arrived from 92 Brigade and was renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left between 12 and 15 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 20th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 30-31 August 1916 B Battery was broken up with a two-gun section joining each of A and C Batteries. C Battery joined from 90 Brigade and was renamed as B Battery.
    • A section of two howitzers from D (Howitzer) Battery of 93 Brigade joined as was added to D (Howitzer) Battery.

XCII (Howitzer)

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 286, 287 and 288 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 20th (Light) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the rest of the Great War: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
  • On 15 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • A (Howitzer) Battery left on 9 August 1915 and went to 27th Division, where on 6 September it became B (Howitzer) Battery of 129 (Howitzer) Brigade.
    • 92 (Howitzer) Brigade was completely reorganised on 11-12 May 1916. B, C and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left, becoming the D (Howitzer) Battery of 90, 91 and 93 Brigades respectively. They were repaced by the D Batteries form those three brigades, which were renamed as A, B and C Batteries of 92 Brigade.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left between 12 and 15 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 20th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • Between 30-31 August 1916 C Battery was broken up with a two-gun section joining each of A and B Batteries. A Battery joined from 90 Brigade and was renamed as C Battery. D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 90 Brigade and became 92 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 8 January 1917 the brigade left 20th (Light) Division as it was being redesignated as an Army Brigade. On the same date, a section of two howizers from D (Howitzer) Battery of 93 Brigade joined the brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.

XCIII

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 289, 290 and 291 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 20th (Light) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until late August 1916 when it was broken up: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
  • On 15 February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • D Battery left on 11 May 1916, to go to 92 Brigade and became its C Battery. It was replaced by D (Howitzer) Battery which arrived from 92 Brigade and became 93 Brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left between 12 and 15 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 20th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • Between 22 and 31 August 1916 A Battery was broken up, with two-gun sections going to B and C Batteries. C Battery was then renamed as A Battery.
    • On 8 January 1917 the brigade left 20th (Light) Division, having been redesignated into an Army Brigade. At the same time, D (Howitzer) Battery was broken up, with two-howitzer sections going to join the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 91 and 92 Brigades. It was never replaced.
    • B Battery joined from 166 Brigade (33rd Division) on 16 January 1917 and was renamed as C Battery.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

20th (Light) Division

The Order of Battle of Divisions