The flow of casualties from the various theatres of war soon overwhelmed the existing medical facilities in Great Britain and Ireland. Many civilian hospitals and large buildings were turned over to military use. This listing is by no means complete.
Types of hospital
Existing Military Hospitals
Several military hospitals existed before the Great War, some even pre-dating the Boer War and going back to the Crimea.
The Territorial Force General Hospitals
A number of hospitals had been identified before the war for use and operation by the Territorial Force. They were generally based at existing hospitals and other large facilities. For example, the 1st Southern General Hospital was based on the Great Hall at the University of Birmingham. They did not exist as such prior to the war other than for training purposes, but were mobilised in August 1914. All were expanded during war time, not only on the primary sites but with the addition of Auxiliary Hospitals and annexes. They were staffed by a mixture of TF Nursing Service personnel and volunteers from many different organisations.
The War Hospitals
As the demand for hospital beds increased, one of the actions taken to provide more capacity was to turn over existing pre-war asylums for military use.
Beaufort War Hospital, Bristol
Military hospitals established at hutted army camps
Land either on existing army bases or acquired nearby for the purpose was converted into major hospitals.
Red Cross, St John’s Ambulance, auxiliary and private hospitals
Large numbers of public and private buildings (often large houses) were turned over for use as small hospitals, most of which operated as annexes to nearby larger hospitals. These are not listed below.
Some hospitals were devloped as, or became, specialist units. Categories of specialism included mental hospitals, units for limbless men, neurological units, orthopaedic units, cardiac units, typhoid units and venereal disease.
These establishments did not have the usual civilian meaning of convalescence; they were formed from March 1915 onward to keep recovering soldiers under military control. See also the Command Depots
Hospitals by country/county/region
Please note that the list here, although long, is very far from complete. I add to it whenever I come across a new name mentioned in a soldier’s service record.
London Command District
|1 Hyde Park Place, London, W.||Imperial Order Of The Daughters Of The Empire Hospital|
|10 Cambridge Square, Hyde Park, London||Mrs Campbell’s Hospital|
|10 Carlton House Terrace, London, W.||Lady Ridley’s Hospital|
|10 Palace Green, London||Palace Green Hospital|
|106 Jamaica Road, Bermondsey, London, SE||Princess Club Hospital|
|11 Palace Green, London||Palace Green Hospital|
|12 Belgrave Square, London, SW||Bathurst House Hospital|
|13 Grosvenor Crescent, Chelsea||13 Grosvenor Crescent VAD Hospital|
|14 Grosvenor Crescent, London, SW||Lady Northcliffe’s Hospital|
|16 Arlington Street, London, W.||Rutland Hospital|
|16 Bruton Street, London, W.||Lady Evelyn Mason’s Hospital|
|16 Derby Road, Bournemouth||Post Office Hospital Annexe|
|16 Paddington Street, London, W.||Swedish Hospital|
|16 The Avenue, Brondesbury||Beech House Military Hospital|
|17 Upper Grosvenor Street, London, W.||Mrs Thal’s Hospital|
|172 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC||The French Hospital|
|18 Cadogan Gardens, London, SW||Lady Mountgarret Hospital|
|184 Queen’s Gate, London, SW||Michie Hospital|
|19 Hyde Park Gardens,||19 Hyde Park Gardens|
|20 Kensington Palace Gardens, Kensington, W.||Post Office Hospital|
|234 Great Portland Street, London, W.||Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital|
|26 Eccleston Square, London, SW||Eccleston Hospital|
|27 Grosvenor Square, London, W.||Fleming’s Hospital|
|3 Christchurch Road, Streatham Hill||Streatham Red Cross Hospital|
|32 Albert Road, London, NW||Acheson Hospital|
|32 Queen’s Gate, London, SW||Morris Hospital (Mrs Morris)|
|338-340 King Street, Hammersmith, W.||Hammersmith Auxiliary Hospital|
|34 Grosvenor Street, London, W.||Beckett Hospital (Hon. Mrs. Beckett)|
|35 Chesham Place, London, SW||De Goldsmid Hospital (Baroness De Goldsmid)|
|37 Bryanston Square, London, W.||Royal Flying Corps Hospital|
|37 Charles Street, London, W.||Lytton Hospital|
|37 Porchester Terrace, London, W.||Paddington V.A.D. Hospital|
|4 Lyndhurst Gardens, Hampstead, NW||Hampstead V.A.D. Hospital|
|40 Grove End Road, London, NW||St. John And St. Elizabeth Hospital|
|40 Upper Grosvenor Street, London, W.||Brassey Hospital (Lady Violet Brassey)|
|40 Weymouth Street, London, W.||Marylebone Auxiliary Hospital|
|45 Devonshire Street, London, W.||Portman Hospital|
|46 Queen’s Gate Terrace, London, W.||Mckinnon Hospital|
|47 Roland Gardens, London, SW||Arnoldi Hospital (Mrs. Arnoldi)|
|48 Bryanston Square, London, W.||Carnarvon Hospital (Lady Carnarvon)|
|5 Grosvenor Square, London, SW||Coulter Hospital|
|50 Weymouth Street, London, W.||Pollock Hospital (Miss Pollock)|
|51 Welbeck Street, London, W.||Mccaul Hospital (Miss Mccaul)|
|53 Mount Street, London, W.||Theodore Hospital|
|55 Porchester Terrace, London, W.||Westbourne Hospital|
|58 Grosvenor Street, London, W.||Samuelson Hospital (Mrs. Samuelson)|
|58 Queen Anne Street, London, W.||Darell Hospital|
|6 Grosvenor Place, London, W.||Princess Christian Hospital|
|7 Mandeville Place, London, W.||Birkett Hospital (Miss Birkett)|
|7 Seamore Place, London, W.||Inchcape Hospital (Lady Inchcape)|
|73 Welbeck Street, London, W||West End Hospital|
|78 Brook Street, London, W.||Jaw Hospital|
|78 Onslow Gardens, London, SW||Hospital For Belgian Soldiers|
|8 Heathview Gardens, Putney||Perkins Bull Hospital|
|8 Lennox Gardens, London, SW||Meynell Hospital|
|8 South Audley Street, London, W.||Russian Hospital|
|82 Eaton Square, London, SW||Royal Flying Corps Hospital|
|87 Eaton Square, London, SW||Dundonald Hospital (Countess Of Dundonald)|
|9 Cedars Road, Clapham||Clapham Auxiliary Military Hospital|
|9 Grosvenor Gardens, London, SW||King Edward Vii Hospital|
|98-99 Lancaster Gate, London, W.||American Women’s Hospital|
|Agar Street, Strand, London||Charing Cross Hospital|
|Aubrey Walk, Campden Hill, London, W.||Aubrey House Hospital|
|Balham, London, SW||St. James’ Infirmary|
|Bancroft Road, London, E.1||Mile End Military Hospital|
|Basildon Park, Pangbourne||Guards Hospital|
|Beecbeechcroft Road, Upper Tooting, SW||Springfield War Hospital|
|Belmont, Sutton||Belmont Prisoners Of War Hospital|
|Benfleet Hall, Sutton||Sutton Red Cross Auxiliary Hosital|
|Berners Street, London, W.||Middlesex Hospital|
|Bletchingley||The Castle Relief Hospital|
|Bloomsbury, London||National Hospital For Paralysis|
|Brentford||Zion House Red Cross Hospital|
|Broad Sanctuary, London, SW||Westminster Hospital|
|Broadlands Road, Highgate, N.||Byculla Auxiliary Hospital|
|Brockley Hill, Stanmore||Wardell Auxiliary Hospital|
|Byfleet||Bleakdown Auxiliary Hospital|
|Caen Wood Towers, Hampstead Lane, London, N.||American Hospital For English Soldiers|
|Camberwell, London||1st London General Hospital TF|
|Cambridge Heath, London, E.2||Bethnal Green Military Hospital|
|Campden Hill, London, W.||Moray Lodge Hospital|
|Caterham||Caterham Military Hospital|
|Cavendish Square, London, W.||Harcourt House Hospital|
|Caversham, Reading||Cliff House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Chelsea, London, SW||2nd London General Hospital TF|
|Chertsey||Ottershaw Park Hospital|
|Chertsey||The Grange Military Hospital|
|City Road, London, EC||Royal Hospital For Diseases Of The Chest|
|City Road, London, EC||Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital|
|Clacton-On-Sea||Reckitts Convalescent Home|
|Combermere Barracks, Windsor||Cavalry Hospital|
|Coombe Lane, Croydon||Wallacefield Auxiliary Hospital|
|Copse Hill, Wimbledon, SW||Atkinson Morley Hospital|
|Cricklewood, NW||Dollis Hill House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Crouch Hill||Holly Park Auxiliary Hospital|
|Denmark Hill, London, SE||Maudsley Hospital|
|Dollis Hill, London, N.||St. Andrew’s Hospital|
|Dorchester House, Park Lane, London, W.||Astley Hospital|
|Downes Park Road, London, E.||Stormont House V.A.D. Hospital|
|Du Cane Road, Shepherd’s Bush, London, W12||Military Orthopaedic Hospital|
|Earl’s Court Road, London||Kensington And Fulham General Hospital|
|East Dulwich Grove, London, SE22||Southwark Military Hospital|
|East India Dock Road, London, E.||Poplar Hospital|
|Endell Street, London, WC2||Endell Street Military Hospital|
|Endsleigh Gardens, London, NW||Endsleigh Palace Hospital|
|Esher||Lammas Auxiliary Hospital|
|Feltham||County Of Middlesex Red Cross Hospital|
|Fulham Road, Chelsea, London, SW||Freemasons’ War Hospital|
|Golden Square, London, W||Throat Hospital|
|Gower Street, London, WC||University College Hospital|
|Grange Road, Ealing, W.||Garth House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Gray’s Inn Road, London, WC||Royal Free Hospital|
|Grove Lane, London, SE||Grove Lane Schools|
|Grove Road, Balham, London, SW||Weir Hospital|
|Ham Common||Latchmere House Hospital|
|Hammersmith, London, W.||West London Hospital|
|Hammersmith, London, W6||Fulham Military Hospital|
|Hampstead||Rosslyn Lodge Auxiliary Hospital|
|Hampstead Heath, London, NW||Cedar Lawn Hospital|
|Hampstead Road, NW, London||London Temperance Hospital|
|Hampstead, London, NW||Kenwood|
|Hampstead, London, NW3||Hampstead Military Hospital|
|Harrow||Harrow Cottage Hospital|
|Haverstock Hill, Hampstead, London||Haverstock Hill General Hospital|
|Heath Street, Hampstead, London, NW||New End Section|
|Holloway Road, London, N.||Great Northern Central Hospital|
|Homedale, 44 The Avenue, Upper Norwood, SE||SE Lambeth Auxiliary Hospital|
|Honor Oak Road, Forest Hill, SE||Fairlawn Auxiliary Hospital|
|Hyde Park Corner, London, SW||St. George’s Hospital|
|Ingatestone||Huskard’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Ingatestone||The Hyde Auxiliary Hospital|
|Jerviston House, Streatham||Nielka Hospital|
|Kensington, London, SW||27 Ovington Square|
|Kensington, W8||Pembroke Lodge Hospital|
|Kew Foot Road, Richmond||Royal Hospital|
|King William Street, London WC||Royal Westminster Ophthalmic Hospital|
|King’s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5||4th London General Hospital TF|
|Kingsland Road, London, N.E.||Metropolitan Hospital|
|Kingston||Kenry House Hospital|
|Knaphill||Princess Christian Hospital|
|Ladywell Road, London, SE13||Bermondsey Military Hospital|
|Lewisham, London, SE13||Lewisham Military Hospital|
|Leyton||Livingstone College Relief Hospital|
|London||17 Park Lane|
|London||19 Park Lane|
|London||24 Park Lane|
|London||25 Portland Place|
|London||26 Park Lane|
|London||27 Berkeley Square|
|London||53 Cadogan Square|
|London||83 Portland Place|
|London||City Of London Red Cross Hospital|
|London, EC||Tower Of London Military Hospital|
|London, W.||7 Charles Street|
|Lower Clapton, London, E5||City Of London Military Hospital|
|Maida Vale, London, W.||Hospital For Epilepsy And Paralysis|
|Marylebone Road, London, NW||Prince Of Wales’s Hospital For Officers|
|Millbank, London, SW1||Queen Alexandra Military Hospital|
|Millfield Lane, Highate, N.||Queen Alexandra Hospital For Officers|
|Mitcham||Catherine Gladstone Relief Hospital|
|Mitcham||Holborn Military Hospital|
|Montpelier Road, Ealing, W.||Montpelier House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Mordon Road, Mitcham||Mordon Hall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Norfolk Street, Park Lane, London, W.||The Garland Home|
|Nose And Ear Hospital, Gray’s Inn Road, London||Central London Throat|
|2 Fitzroy Square, London, W.||Metropolitan Ear Nose And Throat Hospital|
|Ottershaw||Ottermead Auxiliary Hospital|
|Paddington, London, W.||St. Mary’s Hospital|
|Percy House Schools, Isleworth||Percy House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Princes Road, Kennington Cross||Maxillo-Facial Hospital|
|Queen Square, London, WC||Italian Hospital|
|Regent’s Park, London, NW||Life Guards Hospital|
|Regent’s Park, London, NW||Royal Horse Guards Hospital|
|Reigate||The Beeches Auxiliary Hospital|
|Richmond||Richmond Military Hospital|
|Richmond Park, Richmond||South African Military Hospital|
|Rochester Row, London, SW1||Rochester Row Military Hospital|
|Roehampton||Gifford House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Roehampton||Queen Mary’s Convalescent Auxiliary Hospital|
|Roehampton, SW||Templeton House Hospital|
|Brondesbury||Brondesbury Park Hospital|
|Ruskin Park, London, SE||Ruskin Park Extension|
|Ruskin Park, London, SE||Ruskin Park Marquees|
|Rye Lane, Peckham||Hanover Park Hospital|
|St. George’s Circus, SE, London, SE||Royal Eye Hospital|
|St. John’s Lodge, Regents Park, London||Sir John Ellerman Hospital|
|St. Thomas’ Hospital, Lambeth, London, SE||5th London General Hospital TF|
|St. Thomas’ Street, London, SE||Guy’s Hospital|
|Stamford Street, London, SE1||The King George Hospital|
|Streatham||Streatham Relief Hospital|
|Surbiton||Oakenshaw Auxiliary Hospital|
|Surbiton and District Red Cross Hospital, New Malden, Kingston||Kingston|
|Sussex Lodge, Regent’s Park, London||Hall Walker Hospital (Mrs Hall-Walker)|
|Sutton||Stanwell House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Swanley||Kettlewell Convalescent Home|
|The Butts, London Road, Harrow||St. John’s Relief Hospital|
|The Clock House, Chelsea Embankment, SW||Mitchison Hospital (Mrs Mitchison)|
|The Green, Richmond||Richmond Red Cross Hospital|
|Tooting Grove, London, SW17||The Grove Military Hospital|
|Tooting, London, SW17||Tooting Military Hospital|
|Vauxhall Bridge Road, London, SW||All Saints’ Hospital|
|Venetian Road, London||Venetian Road Schools|
|Victoria Barracks, Windsor||Foot Guards Hospital|
|Vincent Square, SW||Empire Hospital|
|Walton-On-Thames||Golf View Military Hospital|
|Wandsworth Common, SW||Bolingbroke Hospital|
|Wandsworth, SW||3rd London General Hospital TF|
|West Byfleet||Blytheswood Auxiliary Hospital|
|West Smithfield, London, EC||St. Bartholomew’s Hospital|
|Weybridge||Barham Lodge Auxiliary Hospital|
|Weybridge||Brackley Lodge Auxiliary Hospital|
|Weybridge||Brooklands Military Hospital|
|Weybridge||Caenshill Military Hospital|
|Weybridge||Erin Lodge Red Cross Hospital|
|Weybridge||St. George’s Hill Hospital|
|Whinclose, Croham Manor Rd, Croydon||St. Dorothy’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Whitechapel, London, E.||London Hospital|
|Whitehall, South Norwood Hill, London||Princess Christian’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Willifield Way, Golders Green, NW||Garden Suburb Auxiliary Hospital|
|Wood Lane, London, W.||White City Camp|
|Woodstock Road, Golders Green, NW||Military Convalescent Home|
- 2nd London General. Beds for 66 officers and 995 other ranks.
- 3rd London General. 806 officers and 224 other ranks.
- 4th London General. 300 officers and 1625 other ranks.
– Neurological section established by early 1915, acting as clearing hospital for these cases. Formerly the Maudsley Memorial Hospital at Denmark Hill. By June 18 known as Maudsley Neurological Clearing Hospital.
- 5th London General. At St Thomas’s Hospital. 94 officers and 568 other ranks.
- King George Hospital. An emergency wartime facility created in Stamford Street, Waterloo, in what is now the Franklin-Wilkins building of King’s College London. Over 70000 military personnel were treated there between 1915 and 1919, including innovative plastic surgery cases.
- Springfield War Hospital. Formerly the Middlesex County Asylum, Wandsworth.
– a detached block was also used as a neurological unit. From April 16 used for severe or protracted cases.
- Charterhouse Military Hospital, Charterhouse Square, London. A 226 bed specialist hospital for limbless men.
- Paddington Military Hospital. A 300 bed specialist hospital for limbless men.
- Queen Mary’s Convalescent Hospital, Roehampton. A 900 bed specialist hospital for limbless men.
- National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, Queen’s Square WC. An existing civilian neurological institution treating some military cases by November 1914. From April 1916 used for cases requiring special but not prolonged treatment.
- The Hospital for Epilepsy and Paralysis, Maida Vale, W. As Queen’s Square.
- West End Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System, Welbeck St, London W. As Queen’s Square.
- Special Neurological Hospital for Officers, 10 Palace Green, Kensington. Opened January 1915 for officers suffering from functional neurosis, traumatic neurasthenia and the milder psychoses. By June 1918 had extended into 11 Palace Green.
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, 234 Great Portland St, London W. A military unit treated cases from London District and Eastern Command from March 1915 onward.
- Military Orthopaedic Hospital, Shepherds Bush. Opened March 1916. Responsibility passed to the Minister of Pensions in July 1919.
- University College Hospital, London, included a 20-bed specialist military cardiac unit from late 1914.
- Metropolitan Hospital, Kingsland Road,Hackney.
- National Hospital for Diseases of the Heart, Westmorland Street, London W, opened a military specialist military cardiac unit in late 1915.
- Hampstead Military Hospital, Hillingdon , opened in March 1915 at what had been the Mount Vernon Hospital for Consumption. Grew to 232 beds and became a cardiac specilaist hospital. In December 1917 was converted to hospital for cases from the Royal Flying Corps and heart cases were sent to Sobroan Barracks Military Hospital in Colchester.
- Rochester Row Military Hospital, London SW. A specialist venereal disease hospital for 301 men.
- Tooting Grove Military Hospital, London SW. A specialist venereal disease hospital for 144 officers and 100 men.
- Endell Street Military Hospital. Founded in 1915 by two former suffragettes, Dr Louisa Garrett Anderson and Dr Flora Murray, the hospital was staffed entirely by women.
- Brook War Hospital, Woolwich. The former Brook General Hospital, turned over to military use in September 1915. Expanded to 1000 beds, it treated 414 officers and 30,0080 men before being returned to civil use on 5 November 1919.
- The Michie Hospital, 184 Queen’s Gate, an auxiliary unit to Queen Alexandra’s on Millbank.
- Taplow (15th Canadian General) Hospital, developed at Cliveden House.
- Duke of Connaught’s Canadian Red Cross Hospital, Taplow (same hospital?) Link
- 1st Eastern General. A TF General Hospital in Cambridge. 151 officers and 1191 other ranks.
- Cherry Hinton Hospital, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 802 men.
- Barnwell Hospital, a specialist venereal disease hospital.
- Brinnington Neurological Section, Stockport (see 2nd Western General Hospital, Lancashire).
- Birtles Hospital, Chelford, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 50 officers. Opened December 1917.
- Fusehill War Hospital, Carlisle.
- 4th Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Plymouth. 193 officers and 1029 other ranks.
– included a specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918
- American Women’s War Relief Hospital, Paignton
- Seale Haye Neurological Hospital, Newton Abbot. Specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918.
- Eggbuckland Hospital, Devonport, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 30 officers and 180 men.
- Military Convalescent Hospital, Crownhill, Plymouth.
- Town Hall Hospital, Torquay.
- The Hon. Mrs Burns’ Hospital for Officers, Stoodley Knowle, Torquay.
- Blandford Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 204 beds.
- Swanage Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 119 beds.
- Wareham Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 45 beds.
- Wool (Bovington) Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 288 beds.
- Colliton House Hospital (VAD), Dorchester.
- Gateshead War Hospital. Formerly the Gateshead County Borough Asylum at Stannington.
– included a specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918.
- Sobraon Barracks Military Hospital. One of the many barracks at Colchester, the main buildings at Sobraon were constructed in 1900. A cardiac hospital was opened when here Hampstead Military Hospital at Hillingdon (London) was turned over to the Royal Flying Corps. It grew to 672 beds before closing in August 1919.
– an associated convalescent hospital of 200 beds operated at Summerdown Camp near Eastbourne (Sussex) from October 1918.
- Whipps Cross War Hospital, Leytonstone
- Woodford and Wanstead Military Hospital, “Highams”, Woodford Green.
- Cheltenham Racecourse Red Cross Hospital. Arrival of a number of wounded Belgian soldiers was reported in the newspapers in November 1914, saying that this now filled the 103 beds provided at this hospital.
- Cambridge Military Hospital. An existing pre-war military hospital at Aldershot.
– A Special Military Surgical Section for orthopaedic cases was also established here.
- Tylney Hall annex to Cambridge Military Hospital had 45 beds for officers.
- Colchester Military Hospital. An existing pre-war military hospital at Aldershot.
- Royal Naval Hospital. An existing pre-war military hospital at Haslar (Gosport).
- Royal Victoria Hospital. An existing pre-war military hospital at Netley.
– D Block was used as a specialist military mental hospital with capacity for 3 officers and 121 other ranks.
– Netley also had a 30 bed unit for limbless men domiciled in Hampshire.
– Neurological section also established by early 1915, acting as a clearing hospital for these cases.
– Special Military Surgical Section for orthopaedic cases was also established at Netley.
- 5th Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Portsmouth. 48 officers and 989 other ranks.
- Haseley Down Camp (Winchester). A hospital established at an army base. 105 beds.
- Magdalen Camp (Winchester). A hospital established at an army base. 252 beds.
- Hilsea Camp. A hospital established at an army base.
– A specialist venereal disease hospital for 47 officers and 430 men was also established at Hilsea.
- Connaught Hospital. A specialist venereal disease hospital for 300 men.
- Park Prewett (4th Canadian General) Hospital, formerly the Hampshire 2nd County Asylum.
- Bramshott (12th Canadian General) Hospital, developed at Bramshott Camp.
- Gadebridge Hospital, Hemel Hempstead, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 800 men. A former artillery training camp, taken over in July 1917. Converted to a350 bed officers’ hospital after the war.
- Shafford Camp included huts for a 106-bed specialist venereal disease unit.
- Belfast War Hospital. Formerly the Belfast District Lunatic Asylum at Belfast. 8 officers and 342 other ranks.
– used as a specialist mental hospital from July 1917.
- Richmond War Hospital. Formerly the Richmond District Asylum at Richmond, Dublin.
– partly used for mental patients (32 ORs) from 16 June 1916 to December 1919.
- Duke of Connaught’s Auxiliary Hospital (formerly located in Princess Patricia Hospital, Bray), Bray, Wicklow. A limbless unit for 50 men from all of Ireland except Ulster.
- Ulster Volunteer Force Hospital, Belfast. A limbless unit for 50 men from Ulster.
- King George V Hospital, Dublin. A specialist neurological unit for cases identified in other hospitals in Ireland (rather than having been processed through the clearing system).
- Portobello Military Hospital, Dublin. A 187-bed specialist venereal disease hospital opened in May 1916.
- Holywood Military Convalescent Hospital, Belfast. Under orders of Irish Command, for men whose homes were in Ireland or who belonged to Irish regiments from any command.
- Central Military Hospital, Victoria Barracks, Cork.
- Fort Pitt Military Hospital, Chatham.
- Orchard Hospital, Dartford. A military convalescent hospital. Under orders of London Command, opened on 24 May 1915. An infectious diseases hospital taken over from the Metropolitan Asylum Board.
- Yarrow Military Hospital, Broadstairs
- Nethercroft VAD Hospital, Ramsgate
- Grange Hospital, Deal
- Red Cross Hospital, Sittingbourne
- 1st Western General. A TF General Hospital in Fazakerley, Liverpool. 153 officers and 4204 other ranks.
– Belmont Road Auxiliary Hospital. Used the buildings of the former West Derby Union workhouse.
– Netherfield Road 7-bed specialist cardiac section opened August 1918. Closing in May 1919, the unit transferred to Toxteth Park Military Hospital, then in August moved again to Queen Mary’s Hospital, Whalley.
- 2nd Western General. A TF General Hospital in Manchester. Apparently based at Whitworth Street in the city,but also located at more than 20 other sites in Manchester and Stockport, most being school buildings. A total bed capacity or more than 16000.
– included a specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918 at Brinnington, Stockport.
- Lord Derby War Hospital. Formerly the Lancashire County Asylum at Winwick. 3313 other ranks.
– partly used for mental patients (1000 beds) from June 1916.
- Toxteth Park Military Hospital.
- Oakdene Auxiliary Hospital, Rainhill.
- Red Cross Military Hospital, Moss Side. Formerly the Moss Side State Institution at Maghull.
– included a specialist neurological unit. First case admitted 21 December 1914. Initially 300 beds, later 500 and a section of 35 beds for officers at Quarry Brook House nearby. From April 1916 used for severe or protracted cases only.
- Queen Mary’s Military Hospital. Formerly the Whalley Asylum at Whalley.
- Whittingham Military Hospital. Formerly the Lancashire County Asylum at Whittingham near Preston.
- Alder Hey Hospital Orthopaedic Hospital. A military unit treated cases not sent to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (London) from March 1915 onward.
– in addition a special 200 bed unit for limbless men domiciled in Cheshire and Lancashire, excluding Manchester, was established at Alder Hey. An additional 100 bed limbless section was at Blackmore.
- Lancaster House Auxiliary Hospital (affiliated to 2nd Western General Hospital), Manchester. 150 beds for limbless men domiciled in Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Manchester.
- King’s Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital, Blackpool, specialist neurological section for officers, operating by June 1918.
- A neurological section of Nell Lane Military Hospital, West Didsbury, opened in 1918.
- New Bridge Street Hospital, Manchester, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 530 men. An old workhouse and boys school taken over some time in 1916.
- Spike Island Hospital, Widnes, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 50 officers and 450 men.
- King’s Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital, Clifton Park, Blackpool. Under orders of Western Command, for men whose homes were in Lancashire or who belonged to Lancashire regiments from any command.
- 5th Northern General. A TF General Hospital in Leicester. 111 officers and 2487 other ranks.
- 4th Northern General. A TF General Hospital in Lincoln. 41 officers and 1126 other ranks.
- Grantham Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 670 beds.
- County of Middlesex War Hospital. Formerly the Middlesex County Asylum at Napsbury (near St Albans). Total of 1600 beds.
– included a specialist military mental hospital with capacity for 250 men. Opened September 1915, closed 1 August 1919.
- Special Military Surgical Hospital (and Strand Extension), Edmonton, for orthopaedic cases.
Napsbury War Hospital
- Norfolk War Hospital. Formerly the Norfolk County Asylum at Thorpe.
- Fernhill Isolation Hospital, Norwich.
- Thetford Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 120 beds.
- Northamptonshire War Hospital. Formerly the Northamptonshire County Asylum at Northampton.
- 1st Northern General. A TF General Hospital in Newcastle. 104 officers and 1420 other ranks.
- Northumberland War Hospital. Formerly the Newcastle-upon-Tyne City Asylum at Gosforth.
- Brighton Grove Hospital, Newcastle, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 48 officers and 552 men.
- Alnwick Military Convalescent Hospital. For men from units in Northern and Scottish Commands, men whose homes were in Scotland or who belonged to Scottish regiments from any command.
- Notts County War Hospital. Formerly the Nottingham County Asylum at Radcliffe-on-Trent. 540 beds. Used for mental patients from 25 July 1918 to 30 August 1919.
- Trent Bridge Military Hospital. This was the pavilion of the cricket ground, taken over for temporary military use.
- West Bridgford Military Hospital. (This may be the same place as Trent Bridge Military Hospital).
- Clipstone Camp near Mansfield. A hospital established at an army base. 356 beds.
- Bagthorpe Infirmary, Hucknall Road, Nottingham.
- 3rd Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Oxford. 336 officers and 1210 other ranks.
- Ashurst War Hospital, Littlemoor. Formerly the Oxford County Asylum.
– included a 580 bed specialist neurological section, opened in 1918
Ireland: full list
I believe that this is a complete list of hospitals used for military purposes in Ireland:
|Ballywalter||Red Cross Hospital|
|Belfast||Hilden Red Cross Convalescent Hospital|
|Belfast||Mater Infirmorum Hospital|
|Belfast||Royal Victoria Hospital|
|Belfast||UVF Limbless Hospital|
|Belfast||UVF Military Orthopaedic Hospital|
|Bere Island||Military Hospital|
|Blackrock||Linden Auxiliary Hospital|
|Blackrock||Military Orthopaedic Hospital|
|Blackrock||Temple Hill Hospital|
|Bray||Duke Of Connaught Hospital|
|Bray||Princess Patricia Red Cross Hospital|
|Castleknock||Glenmaroon Auxiliary Hospital|
|Cork||Central Military Hospital|
|Cork||Eye And Ear Hospital|
|Cork||North Cork Infirmary|
|Cork||South Cork Infirmary|
|Cork||St. Ann’s Hill Hydro|
|Curragh||Curragh Military Hospital|
|Dublin||Adelaide Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Dr. Steven’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Drumcondra Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Dublin Castle Red Cross Hospital|
|Dublin||Fitzwilliam Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Irish Counties War Hospital|
|Dublin||Jervis Street Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||King George V Hospital|
|Dublin||Mater Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Meath Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Mercer’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Mountjoy Square Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||National Children’s Hospital|
|Dublin||Portobello Military Hospital|
|Dublin||Red Cross Hospital|
|Dublin||Richmond Children’s Hospital|
|Dublin||Richmond War Hospital|
|Dublin||Royal City Of Dublin Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Royal Military Infirmary|
|Dublin||Royal Victoria Eye And Ear Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dublin||Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital|
|Dublin||St. Vincent’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Gilford||Bannvale UVF Hospital|
|Gilford||Dumbarton House Hospital|
|Holywood||Holywood Military Convalescent Hospital|
|Kells||Balrathbury House Hospital|
|Kilkenny||Lady Desart’s War Hospital|
|Kingstown||Corrig Castle Hospital|
|Kingstown||St. Michael’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Londonderry||Londonderry Military Hospital|
|Lucan||The Hermitage Hospital|
|Monkstown House||Monkstown House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Mullingar||Bloomfield Auxiliary Hospital|
|Newry||Newry General Hospital|
|Newtownards||Mountstewart House Red Cross Hospital|
|Randalstown||Military Convalescent Hospital|
|Rathfarnham||Fetherstonhaugh Auxiliary Hospital|
|Strabane||Red Cross Hospital|
|Whitehead||Red Cross Convalescent Hospital|
Scotland: full list
I believe that this is a complete list of hospitals used for military purposes in Scotland:
|Aberdalgie||Aberdalgie Auxiliary Hospital|
|Aberdeen||1st Scottish General Hospital TF|
|Aberdeen||Aberdeen Military Hospital|
|Aberdeen||Aberdeen Royal Infirmary|
|Aberdeen||Fae-me-well Auxiliary Hospital|
|Aberdircher||Rose Innes Auxiliary Hospital|
|Aberfeldy||Aberfeldy Auxiliary Hospital|
|Aboyne||Aboyne Castle Auxiliary Hospital|
|Alford||Breda House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Annan||Kinmount Auxiliary Hospital|
|Arbroath||Alexandra Palace Auxiliary Hospital|
|Ardrossan||Ardrossan Auxiliary Hospital|
|Auchterader||Cloan Auxiliary Hospital|
|Ayr||Carrick House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Ayr||Ayr County Hospital|
|Ayr||Ayr Military Hospital|
|Ballantrae||Laggan Auxiliary Hospital|
|Ballater||Victoria Hall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Banavie||Officers Auxiliary Hospital|
|Banff||Chalmers Auxiliary Hospital|
|Bangour||Edinburgh War Hospital|
|Bearsden||Shaw Home Hospital|
|Berwick on Tweed||Berwick Military Hospital|
|Bishopbriggs||Cawder House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Blair Atholl||Blair Castle Auxiliary Hospital|
|Blairgowrie||Buchanan House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Boness||Carriden Auxiliary Hospital|
|Bothwell||Hillpark Auxiliary Hospital|
|Bridge of Allan||Hyndwood Auxiliary Hospital|
|Broughty Ferry||The Lodge Auxiliary Hospital|
|Buckie||Portessie Auxiliary Hospital|
|Callander||Inverleny Auxiliary Hospital|
|Castle Douglas||Auxiliary Hospital|
|Castle Kennedy||Lochinch Auxiliary Hospital|
|Coatbridge||Drumpelier Auxiliary Hospital|
|Coldingham||Manderstone Auxiliary Hospital|
|Coldstream||Lennel Auxiliary Hospital|
|Coldstream||Eccles Auxiliary Hospital|
|Cramond||Cramond House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Crieff||Ochtertyre Auxiliary Hospital|
|Crieff||Ruberslaw Auxiliary Hospital|
|Cromarty||Cromarty Military Hospital|
|Cullen||Hall Red Cross Hospital|
|Cupar||Ceres Auxiliary Hospital|
|Cupar||Edenfield Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dalguise||Dalguise Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dalmellington||Calmarg Reception Hospital|
|Denny||Denny Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dess||Dess House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dess||Parkhill House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dingwall||Seaforth Auxiliary Hospital|
|Douglas||Douglas Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dufftown||Mount Stephen Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dumfries||Broomlands Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dumfries||Dunbar Terrace Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dumfries||Maxwelltown Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dunbar||Battery Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dunbar||Dunbar Military Hospital|
|Dunbarton||Dunbarton Military Hospital|
|Dunblane||Keir House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dundee||Dundee War Hospital|
|Dundee||Caird Rest Hospital|
|Dundee||Kings Cross Infectious Diseases Hospital|
|Dundee||Lochee School Hospital|
|Dundee||Dundee Royal Infirmary|
|Dunfermline||Dunfermline Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dunkeld||Dalpowie Auxiliary Hospital|
|Dunlop||Dunlop Auxiliary Hospital|
|Duns||Southfield Auxiliary Hospital [Book review]|
|Durris||Kirton Hall Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital|
|Edinburgh||2nd Scottish General Hospital TF|
|Edinburgh||Edinburgh Military Hospital|
|Edinburgh||March Hall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Edinburgh||Mayfield Auxiliary Hospital|
|Edinburgh||Edinburgh Royal Infirmary|
|Edinburgh||Royal Victoria Hospital|
|Edinburgh||8 Moray Place|
|Edinburgh||St. George’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Edinburgh||St. Leonard’s Road Red Cross Hospital|
|Elgin||Braemoriston Auxiliary Hospital|
|Elgin||Dalchroy Auxiliary Hospital|
|Elie||Craigforth Auxiliary Hospital|
|Erskine Bishopton||Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless|
|Falkirk||Arnothill Auxiliary Hospital|
|Falkirk||Falkirk Infirmary Auxiliary Hospital|
|Falkirk||Walside Auxiliary Hospital|
|Fochabers||Gordon Castle Hospital|
|Forfar||Briars Cottage Auxiliary Hospital|
|Forres||Leancoil Auxiliary Hospital|
|Forres||Forres Hall Red Cross Hospital|
|Fort Augustus||St. Benedict’s Abbey Auxiliary Hospital|
|Fort George||Fort George Military Hospital|
|Fraserburgh||Walker’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Fyvie||Fyvie Club Auxiliary Hospital|
|Fyvie||Fyvie Cottage Hospital|
|Gailes||Gailes Military Hospital|
|Galashiels||Wilder House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glamis||Glamis Castle Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glasgow||Hillhead House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glasgow||Oakbank War Hospital, Possil Park|
|Glasgow||Glasgow Royal Infirmary|
|Glasgow||Yorkhill War Hospital|
|Glasgow Bellahouston||Scottish National Red Cross Hospital|
|Glasgow Cathcart||Aitkenhead Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glasgow Govan||Merryflats War Hospital|
|Glasgow Maryhill||Maryhill Military Hospital|
|Glasgow Maryhill||Garscube Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glasgow Pollokshaws||Pollock House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glasgow Pollokshaws||Matheran Auxiliary Hospital|
|Glasgow Spingburn||Woodside Red Cross Hospital|
|Glasgow Stobhill||3rd Scottish General Hospital TF|
|Glasgow Stobhill||4th Scottish General Hospital TF|
|Glencorse||Glencorse Military Hospital|
|Greenock||Smithston War Hospital|
|Greenock||Lindores Reception Hospital|
|Gullane||The Gables Auxiliary Hospital|
|Hamilton||Hamilton Military Hospital|
|Hartwood||Hartwoodhill Auxiliary Hospital|
|Hawick||Wells Auxililary Hospital|
|Helensburgh||Hermitage House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Huntly||Huntly Cottage Hospital|
|Huntly||Invermarkie Lodge Hospital|
|Inchkeith||Inchkeith Reception Hospital|
|Insch||Drumrossie Red Cross Hospital|
|Invergordon||Invergordon Reception Hospital|
|Inverkip||Ardgowan Auxiliary Hospital|
|Inverness||Inverness Military Hospital|
|Inverness||Hedgefield Auxiliary Hospital|
|Inverness||Leys Castle Auxiliary Hospital|
|Irvine||Bogside Auxiliary Hospital|
|Irvine||Irvine Auxiliary Hospital|
|Johnstone||Johnstone & District Auxiliary Hospital|
|Keith||Earlsmount Red Cross Hospital|
|Kelso||Newton Don Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kennethmont||Leith Hall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kilcreggan||Woodland Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kilmarnock||Dick Institute Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kilwinning||Montgrennan Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kinghorn||Kinghorn Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kirkcowan||Glendarroch Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kirkintilloch||Gartshore Auxiliary Hospital|
|Kirriemuir||St. Andrew’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lamlash||Arran Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lanark||Lady Hozier Home|
|Lanark||Lockhart Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lanark||St. Mary’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Langholm||Langholm Auxiliary Hospital|
|Largs||Barra House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lauder||Thirlestane Castle Hospital|
|Lennoxtown||Lennox Castle Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lesmahagow||Auchtyfardle Auxiliary Hospital|
|Leven||Braeside Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lockerbie||Castlemilk Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lockerbie||Dryfeholm Auxiliary Hospital|
|Lockerbie||Lockerbie Auxiliary Hospital|
|Meigle||Ruthven Auxiliary Hospital|
|Milnathort||Tillyrie Auxiliary Hospital|
|Milngavie||Craigmaddie Auxiliary Hospital|
|Moffat||Moffat Auxiliary Hospital|
|Monifieth||Monifieth Hall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Montrose||Montrose Hall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Montrose||Montrose Hospital No.2|
|Montrose||Montrose Military Hospital|
|Motherwell||Dalziell Auxiliary Hospital|
|Muir Of Ord||Fairburn Auxiliary Hospital|
|Murthly||Murthly War Hospital|
|Murtle||Murtle House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Nairn||Ivybank Auxiliary Hospital|
|Neilston||Cowdenhall Auxiliary Hospital|
|Nitshill||Crookston War Hospital|
|North Berwick||Eddington Cottage Hospital|
|Novar||Novar House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Oban||Dungallon Auxiliary Hospital|
|Paisley||Craw Road Military Hospital|
|Paisley||Dykebar War Hospital|
|Paisley||Barshaw Auxiliary Hospital|
|Paisley||Gallowhill Auxiliary Hospital|
|Paisley||Paisley War Hospital|
|Paisley||Ralston Auxiliary Hospital|
|Paisley||Royal Alexandra Infirmary|
|Peebles||Moreland Auxiliary Hospital|
|Peebles||Venlaw Auxiliary Hospital|
|Peebles||Peebles War Hospital|
|Perth||Perth War Hospital|
|Perth||Perth Military Hospital|
|Perth||Perth Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital|
|Perth||Rosebank Auxiliary Hospital|
|Perth||Perth Royal Infirmary|
|Peterhead||The Hall Red Cross Hospital|
|Pitlochry||Fonab Auxiliary Hospital|
|Queensferry||Fernbank Hospital North|
|Queensferry||Sealscraig Hospital North|
|Rosewell||Whitehill Auxiliary Hospital|
|Rothienorman||Kinbroon Auxiliary Hospital|
|Sanquhar||Eliock Auxiliary Hospital|
|Selkirk||Bowhill Auxiliary Hospital|
|Slateford||Craiglockhart War Hospital|
|Slateford||Kingsknowe Auxiliary Hospital|
|South Queensferry||Hopetoun Auxiliary Hospital|
|South Queensferry||Dalmeny Auxiliary Hospital|
|St. Andrews||Castlecliffe Auxiliary Hospital|
|Stirling||Stirling Military Hospital|
|Stirling||Stirling Royal Infirmary|
|Stirling||Southwood Auxiliary Hospital|
|Stonehaven||St. Leonard’s Auxiliary Hospital|
|Strachur||Letters Lodge Auxiliary Hospital|
|Strathpeffer||The Spa Hospital|
|Strathpeffer||Nicholson Red Cross Hospital|
|Tarves||Haddo House Auxiliary Hospital|
|Thornhill||Drumlanrig Auxiliary Hospital|
|Troon||Craigronach Auxiliary Hospital|
|Turnberry||Turnberry Reception Hospital|
|Turriff||Turriff Hall Red Cross Hospital|
|Wemyss||Wemyss Castle Auxiliary Hospital|
|West Linton||Lynehurst Auxiliary Hospital|
|Whitburn||Polkemmet Auxiliary Hospital|
|Whithorn||Physgill Auxiliary Hospital|
Scotland: further notes
- 1st Scottish General. A TF General Hospital in Aberdeen. 62 officers and 1297 other ranks.
- 2nd Scottish General. A TF General Hospital in Craigleith, Edinburgh. 28 officers and 1129 other ranks.
- 3rd Scottish General. A TF General Hospital in Glasgow. 70 officers and 1629 other ranks.
- 4th Scottish General. A TF General Hospital in Stobill. 1334 other ranks.
- Cromarty Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 226 beds.
- Dykebar War Hospital. Formerly the Renfrew District Asylum at Paisley. 500 beds.
– used as a specialist mental hospital from February 1916.
- Edinburgh War Hospital. Formerly the Edinburgh District Asylum at Bangour.
– A Special Military Surgical Section for orthopaedic cases was also established at Bangour.
- Murthly War Hospital. Formerly the Perth District Asylum at Perth. 350 beds.
– used as a specialist mental hospital from 27 January 1917.
- Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, Erskine House, Glasgow. 400 beds for men from the West of Scotland, Cumberland, Westmorland, Northumberland and Durham.
- Edenhall East of Scotland Limbless Hospital, Musselburgh. 100 beds for men from East of Scotland.
- Royal Victoria Hospital, Edinburgh. A specialist neurological unit for cases identified in other hospitals in Scotland (rather than having been processed through the clearing system).
- Craiglockhart War Hospital, Edinburgh. Specialist neurological section for officers, operating by June 1918.
- Glen Lomond War Hospital, Fife. Specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918.
- Dunblane War Hospital, Perthshire. As Glen Lomond.
- Robroyston War Hospital, a specialist venereal disease hospital for 50 officers and 500 men.
- Stobs Hospital. A specialist venereal disease hospital opened after the Armistice.
- Stirling Detention Barracks had a small specialist venereal disease unit.
- Merryflats War Hospital, Glasgow. 500 beds.
- Scottish National Red Cross Hospital, Cardonald, Glasgow.
- Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Paisley.
- Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
- Bellahouston Red Cross Hospital, Glasgow, huts for 700 patients.
- Oswestry Camp. A hospital established at an army base.866 beds.
- Prees Heath Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 609 beds.
- Berrington War Hospital, Shrewsbury.
- Lady Forester’s Hospital, Broseley.
- 2nd Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Bristol. 200 officers and 1350 other ranks.
- Beaufort War Hospital. Formerly Bristol County and City Asylum at Fishponds.
- VAD Hospital, Chard. A 46 bed limbless unit for men domiciled in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.
- Duchess of Somerset’s Hospital, Maiden Bradley.
- Cannock Chase Camp (Rugeley and Penkridge). A hospital established at an army base. 594 beds.
- Central Hospital, Lichfield.
- Whittington Barracks, Lichfield. A specialist venereal disease hospital for 50 officers and 754 men was established in a hutted section of the barracks.
- Stafford Detention Barracks had a small specialist venereal disease unit.
- Ampton Hall, a private property taken over for use by the Red Cross on on 16 October 1914, it continued in this role until 31 January 1919. In all, 6568 sick or wounded soldiers were treated there, of whom 40 died.
- 1st London General. A TF General Hospital in Camberwell. 88 officers and 852 other ranks.
- Horton (County of London) War Hospital. Formerly the London County Asylum, Horton, Epsom.
- Manor (County of London) War Hospital. Formerly the London County Asylum, Manor, Epsom.
- South African Military Hospital, Richmond Park.
- Ewell (County of London) War Hospital, Epsom. Formerly the The Ewell Colony.
– included a specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918.
- Special Hospital for Officers, a mental hospital with 51 beds established by Lord Knutsford’s Red Cross Committee in a private house (“Latchmere”) at Ham Common in November 1915. By October 1919 it had treated circa 430 officers.
- Addington Park War Hospital, Croydon, opened as a typhoid specialist at Addington Palace in early 1915. Initially 300 beds, it was expanded by addition of huts to 650. In July 15 it was decided to establish a Command Depot exclusively for enteric cases in a hutted camp of 1000 beds erected ‘in the vicinity of Addington Park’.
- Shirley Enteric Depot, near Addington Park, opened in March 1917.
- Warlingham Enteric Depot. Opened in 1916.
– a specialist venereal disease hospital with 750 beds was also opened here.
- Woldingham Enteric Depot. As Warlingham.
- Woking Detention Barracks had a small specialist venereal disease unit.
- Woodcote Park Military Convalescent Hospital, Epsom. Under orders of Southen Command, opened 24 June 1915.
Addington Palace War Hospital, Croydon
- 2nd Eastern General. A TF General Hospital in Brighton. 98 officers and 1190 other ranks.
- Graylingwell War Hospital. Formerly the West Sussex County Asylum at Chichester.
- East Preston Military Hospital, Worthing. A specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918
- Summerdown Camp Military Convalescent Hospital. Opened 8 April 1915.
– Associated with Sobraon Barracks Military Hospital at Colchester (Essex), a specilaist 200-bed cardiac unit operated from October 1918.
- Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton.
- Kitchener Indian General Hospital, Brighton (former workhouse in Elm Grove).
- Royal Pavilion, Corn Exchange and Dome Indian Hospitals, Brighton.
- Brighton Hove & Sussex VI Form College, Dyke Road, Brighton. 520 beds.
- Sussex Eye Hospital, Brighton.
- 3rd Western General. A TF General Hospital in Cardiff. 38 officers and 2626 other ranks.
- Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital. Formerly the Cardiff City Asylum at Whitchurch. 61 officers and 839 other ranks.
– partly used for mental patients (14 officers and 416 ORs) from September 1917 to December 1919.
- Kinmel Park Camp (Rhyl). A hospital established at an army base. 890 beds.
– a specialist venereal disease unit opened here after the Armistice
- Prince of Wales Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, Cardiff. 66 beds for men from Wales, Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Shropshire.
- Officers’ neurological hospital, Nannau, Dolgelly. Established by June 1918.
- St John’s Auxiliary Hospital, Stebonheath, Llanelli
|Location||Type||Unit||Beds (at 17 Jan 1919)|
|Liverpool||General Hospital (TF)||1st Western General||9500|
|Manchester||General Hospital (TF)||2nd Western General||5230|
|Cardiff||General Hospital (TF)||3rd Western General||7795|
|Bangor (Wales)||Military Hospital||200|
|Barrow in Firness||Military Hospital||115|
|Nell Lane Didsbury||Military Hospital||British||1280|
|Nell Lane Didsbury||Military Hospital||German||1724|
|Pembroke Dock||Military Hospital||356|
|Prees Heath||Military Hospital||389|
|Whalley||Military Hospital||Queen Mary's||2101|
|Warrington||War Hospital||Lord Derby||2327|
|Alder Hey (Liverpool)||Orthopaedic Hospital||722|
|Eaton Hall (Chester)||Officers Hospital||250|
|Llangammarch Wells||Officers Hospital||40|
|Blackpool||Convalescent Hospital||Kings Lancashire||3458|
Source: “The history of 19th Company RAMC during the war”, compiled by Major S.T. Beggs.
- Tidworth Military Hospital. An existing pre-war military hospital at the cavalry barracks at Tidworth.
- Codford Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 100 beds.
- Fargo Camp (Larkhill). A hospital established at an army base. 1037 beds.
- Fovant Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 449 beds.
- Sutton Veny Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 938 beds.
- Bulford Camp. A hospital established at an army base.
– a specialist venereal disease hospital was established here. It was handed over to Australians (‘owing to large demand’) in November 1916 and known as 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital.
- Chiseldon Camp. A hospital established at an army base.
– A specialist venereal disease hospital of 400 beds was created from about half of the existing hutted camp to make up for accommodation at Bulford being transferred to the Australians in late 1916. Beds for 100 more serious VD cases were also made available in Chiseldon Military Hospital. at that time.
- Devizes Detention Barracks had a small specialist venereal disease unit.
- 1st Southern General. A TF General Hospital in Selly Oak (Birmingham). 130 officers and 2357 other ranks.
– included Monyhull Hall, a specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918
- 2/1st Southern General. A TF General Hospital on Dudley Road (Birmingham).
– Uffculme Auxiliary Hospital, affiliated, was a 150 bed limbless unit for men domiciled in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Oxfordshire.
- 1st Birmingham War Hospital. Formerly the Birmingham City Asylum at Rubery Hill.
- 2nd Birmingham War Hospital. Formerly the Birmingham City Asylum at Hollymoor.
- 2nd Northern General. A TF General Hospital in Leeds. 60 officers and 2039 other ranks.
– included a 126 bed unit for limbless men domiciled in Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Rutland.
- 3rd Northern General. A TF General Hospital in Sheffield. 57 officers and 1360 other ranks.
- East Leeds War Hospital. Formerly the Leeds Union Infirmary.
– incorporated the 572-bed Killingbeck Military Hospital.
- Wharncliffe War Hospital. Formerly the West Riding of Yorkshire Asylum at Wadsley in Sheffield.
- Catterick Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 750 beds.
- Ripon Camp. A hospital established at an army base. 670 beds.
- Paull Point Military Hospital, Hull.
- Abram Peel Hospital, Bradford. Specialist neurological section for other ranks, operating by June 1918.
- Oulton Hall Hospital for Officers, Leeds. 71 bed specialist neurological section, opened in 1918.
- Leeds General Hospital. A specialist 50-bed military cardiac unit operated from November 18 From August 1919 it was affiliated with the Special Military Surgical Hospital, Leeds. An associated convalescent unit opened at Killingbeck Military Hospital.
- Royal Bath Hospital, Harrogate.
- Grand Duchess George of Russia’s Hospital, Harrogate.
- St Luke’s War Hospital, Halifax.
- Ranmore Military Hospital, Sheffield.
Who operated and manned these hospitals?
These military hospitals were manned and operated by the Royal Army Medical Corps and Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service, supplemented by voluntary workers from a number of organisations including the Voluntary Aid Detachments, Red Cross, St John’s Ambulance and YMCA.