I am very pleased to welcome you to the Long, Long Trail, my site dedicated to helping you discover the British army and its soldiers of the First World War. Dig in! Chris Baker
- Killed in his billet: 2nd Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, 27 August 1917
- Rates of pay in the Canadian Expeditionary Force
- Video talk “War on the water”
- The 4th Dragoon Guards at Messines, 1914
- Allocation of Royal Garrison Artillery Batteries to Groups/Brigades
Research a soldier
Find out how to research a soldier’s story. Understand their life in the army. Find out where they went and how they fought.
Research the army
Histories of regiments, units and formations; regulations and how the army worked; technicalities explained.
Research the battles
Which battles and engagements did the British army fight? Find out what and when, who took part and what happened.
Visit the battlefields
Where were the battlefields of the Great War? What are they like today? What is the best way of visiting them?
I am grateful for the support of advertisers that you will see on the site, the small amount of kick-back income from when visitors buy (for example, from Amazon links) and from personal donations. See the list of supporters and please consider becoming one yourself.