Herefordshire Regiment

The regiment was unusual in that it had no units of the regular army. All of the battalions shown below were of the Territorial Force.

1/1st Battalion

August 1914 : in Hereford. Part of the Welsh Border Brigade in the Welsh Division. Moved on mobilisation to Pembroke Dock but soon to Oswestry and by the end of the month was at Irchester and Rushden.
Moved on to Bury St Edmunds in December 1914.
24 April 1915 : transferred to North Wales Brigade in same Division. Moved to Bedford in May 1915.
13 May 1915 : formation became 158th Brigade in 53rd (Welsh) Division.
16 July 1915 : embarked at Devonport on SS Euripedes. There were 29 officers and 969 other ranks. On reaching Port Said the Bn was reduced to 25 officers and 750 ORs and these men went on to land at ‘C’ beach at Suvla Bay on Gallipoli at 7.20am on 9 August 1915. Their divisional artillery had been left behind in England under orders for France, and the Division had no other wheeled transport and no horses.
12 December 1915 : evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt.
1 June 1918 : left the Division and moved via Italy to France, landing at Taranto (Italy) on 22 June 1918.
30 June 1918 : moved to Proven and came under command of 102nd Brigade in 34th Division.

For their part in the landing at Suvla Bay on 9 August 1915 the battalion was mentioned in despatches by General Sir Ian Hamilton. …….the 1st/1st Herefordshire, which attacked with impetuosity and courage between Hetman Chair and Kaslar Chair about Azmak Dere on the extreme right of his line.

A group of soldiers of the Hereford Regiment “on active service” during the First World War. Image courtesy of the Discovering Shropshire’s History website, with my thanks.

2/1st Battalion

Formed at Hereford in September 1914 as a second line battalion.
December 1914 : moved to Aberystwyth and on in April 1915 to Northampton where it came under orders of 205th Brigade in 68th Division. In May to June 1915 the battalion worked on north London defences in the Billericay area. Moved to Bedford in July 1915 and on to Lowestoft in November. Moved to Herringfleet in May 1917 and finally disbanded on 10 September 1917.

3/1st Battalion

Formed in Hereford in February 1915 as a depot/training unit. Moved to Abergavenny and by September 1915 was at Oswestry. Renamed 1st Reserve Battalion on 8 April 1916. Merged with 4th Reserve Battalion of the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry at Swansea on 24 July 1917.



Other regiments of infantry

Territorial Force

53rd (Welsh) Division

34th Division

Regimental museum