CCLXI, CCLXII, CCLXIV and CCLXIII (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (52nd Divisional artillery)

These units were formed in 1908 for the new Territorial Force. They were under command of the Lowland Division, later called 52nd (Lowland) Division.

I Lowland Brigade

  • Comprised of Brigade Headquarters, 1st City of Edinburgh Battery Battery, 2nd City of Edinburgh Battery Battery, Midlothian Battery, and the Brigade Ammunition Column (all base dat 30 Grindla Street in Edinburgh). Each battery was equipped with four 15-pounder field guns.
  • Remained at home when the division sailed for service in the Mediterranean
  • October 1915: moved to France and on 10 November 1915 came under command of 51st (Highland) Division.

CCLXI (II Lowland) Brigade

  • Comprised of Brigade Headquarters (located at Irvine), 1st Ayrshire Battery (Irvine), 2nd Ayrshire Battery (Kilmarnock), Kirkcudbrightshire Battery (Kirkcudbright), and the Brigade Ammunition Column (Ardrossan). Each battery was equipped with four 15-pounder field guns.
  • 27-28 April 1916: re-armed with 18-pounder field guns
  • (Some evidence from men’s service records that number of those serving with Brigade Ammunition Column transferred to Divisional Ammunition Column on 7 May 1915)
  • Proceeded with the division for service in the Mediterranean but did not go to operations at Gallipoli, remaining in Egypt
  • 28 May 1916: brigade renamed as CCLX Brigade and batteries given letters A, B and C
  • 15 September 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXI Brigade
  • 25 December 1916: C Battery brokenn up, with two-gun sections going to make A and B Batteries up to six guns each (see below)
  • 30 December 1916: A (Howitzer) Battery joined from CCLXIII Brigade and was renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery
  • 1 January 1917: Brigade Ammunition Column left to be formed into new 52nd Divisional Ammunition Column
  • 3 April 1918: left the 52nd (Lowland) Division to join 7th (Indian) Division.
From the “Daily Record” of 29 July 1915. Source: British Newspaper Archive, with thanks.

CCLXII (III Lowland) Brigade

  • Comprised of Brigade Headquarters (located at 8 Newton Terrace, Glasgow), 1st City of Glasgow Battery (Berkeley Street), 1st City of Glasgow Battery (Percy Street, Maryhill), 3rd City of Glasgow Battery (Keppchill, Springburn) and the Brigade Ammunition Column (Percy Street). Each battery was equipped with four 15-pounder field guns.
  • Remained at home when the division sailed for service in the Mediterranean
  • 17 March 1916: rejoined the division at Kantara in Egypt, having been re-armed with 18-pounder field guns
  • 28 May 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXI Brigade and batteries given letters A, B and C
  • 15 September 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXII Brigade
  • 25 December 1916: C Battery broken up, with two-gun sections going to make A and B Batteries up to six guns each (see below)
  • 30 December 1916: B (Howitzer) Battery joined from CCLXIII Brigade and was renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery
  • 1 January 1917: Brigade Ammunition Column left to be formed into new 52nd Divisional Ammunition Column
  • 3 April 1918: left the 52nd (Lowland) Division to join 7th (Indian) Division
  • 5 April 1918: 438 (Howitzer) Battery joined.

CCLXIV (V Lowland) Brigade

  • 13 January 1916: formed at Leicester from Hampshire Royal Horse Artillery (which became A Battery), Hampshire Royal Horse Artillery (B Battery), and West Riding Royal Horse Artillery (B Battery), all armed with 13-pounder field guns
  • 15-18 February 1916: departed from Devonport for service in the Mediterranean
  • 17 March 1916: joined the division at Kantara in Egypt, having been re-armed with 18-pounder field guns
  • 28 May 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXIII Brigade and batteries given letters A, B and C
  • 15 September 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXIV Brigade
  • 30 December 1916: brigade renamed again as CCLXIII Brigade
  • 30 December 1916: C Battery broken up, with two-gun sections going to make A and B Batteries up to six guns each (see below)
  • 1 January 1917: Brigade Ammunition Column left to be formed into new 52nd Divisional Ammunition Column
  • 5 July 1917: batteries re-armed with 13-pounders
  • 5 July 1917: brigade renamed as 20 Brigade Royal Horse Artillery, left the 52nd (Lowland) Division to join Yeomanry Mounted Division.

CCLXIII (IV Lowland) (Howitzer) Brigade

  • Comprised of Brigade Headquarters, (located at 8 Newton Terrace, Glasgow), 4th City of Glasgow Howitzer Battery (Butterbiggins Road, Govanhill), 5th City of Glasgow Howitzer Battery (Elder Street, Govan) and the Brigade Ammunition Column (Butterbiggins Road)
  • 21 June 1915: HQ and 4th Battery landed at Cape Helles, Gallipoli
  • 24 June 1915: 5th Battery landed at Anzac, Gallipoli
  • 27 July 1915: HQ and 4th Battery moved to Anzac
  • 20 August 1915: HQ and 4th Battery moved to Suvla Bay
  • 11 January 1916: rejoined the division at Cairo in Egypt
  • 28 May 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXII (Howitzer) Brigade and batteries given letters A and B
  • 28 June 1916: batteries re-armed with 4.5-inch howitzers
  • 15 September 1916: brigade renamed as CCLXIII (Howitzer) Brigade
  • 30 December 1916: brigade broken up and ceased to exist. A Battery went to CCLXI Brigade and B went to CCLXII Brigade.
 

52nd Divisional Ammunition Column

  • 25 April 1915: this unit was formed in Glasgow
  • 7 May 1915: moved to Blackheath
  • 4 June 1915: sailed from Devonport for Egypt, landing at Port Said on 19 June
  • 17 March 1916: broken up and temporarily ceased to exist
  • 1 January 1917: a new column was formed by the transfer of the Brigades Ammunition Columns from CCLXI, CCLXII and CCLXXII Brigades
  • 3 April 1918: left the 52nd (Lowland) Division to join 7th (Indian) Division, being exchanged with that division’s DAC

Other

  • Lowland (Edinburgh) Heavy Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery served with the division until it left for service in the Mediterranean. It went to France in February 1916 and initially came under command of XVII Brigade RGA.
  • The two-gun sections affected in reorganisation of the brigades in December 1916 (above) were initially retained for the defence of the Kantara and El Arish bases. They eventually joined their respective batteries on 25 June 1917.
  • A single battery of 1-pounder pompom guns came under temporary command of the division in June 1917.
  • IX Brigade RFA joined 52nd (Lowland) Division from 7th (Indian) Division on 1 April 1918. Personnel of this brigade were on board ship “Kingstonian” when it was torpedoed en route to France on 11 April 1918. All of its guns and equipment were lost and replaced once in France.
  • LVI Brigade RFA joined 52nd (Lowland) Division from 7th (Indian) Division on 1 April 1918.

Links

52nd (Lowland) Division

7th (Indian) Division (formerly 7th (Meerut) Division)

Yeomanry Mounted Division

Other batteries and brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

Royal Horse Artillery

The Royal Artillery