CCXXX, CCXXXI, CCXXXII and CCXXXIII (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

These units was formed in 1908 for the new Territorial Force. They were originally known as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (Howitzer) North Midland Brigades RFA.

Each of the units raised a “second line” in September 1914 which were organised into the 59th (2nd North Midland) Division.

Imperial War Museum photograph Q9609. Men of 20th (Light) Division unloading limbers to form a roadside dump of 18-pounder shells at Drocourt, 15 October 1918. Not directly related to the text content of this page and for illustrative purposes only.

CCXXX (1/1st North Midland)

  • On formation in April 1908 it was briefly known as the 3rd North Midland Brigade but became the 1st on 1 September 1908.
  • The 1st North Midland Brigade RFA TF was based at the Artillery Drill Hall in Grimsby, Lincolnshire. It was comprised of a headquarters, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Lincolnshire Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The 1st Battery was based at the  Mainridge Artillery Barracks in Boston and was sometimes referred to as the “Boston Artillery”and the 3rd Battery was at Louth. Each battery was armed with four obsolescent 15-pounder field guns.
  • The brigade came under orders of the North Midland Division. Its movements and history can be traced on the page describing that division (link below).
  • Re-armed with modern 18-pounder field guns 19-22 November 1915.
  • A new “D” Battery was formed 19 April 1916.
  • On 12-13 May 1916 the brigade was renamed to 230 Brigade RFA and the batteries given letters.
  • The Brigade Ammunition Column left to merge into the Divisional Ammunition Column 22 May 1916.
  • On 23 May 1916 “D” Battery left for 233 Brigade and became its “A” Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of that brigade’s “D” (Howitzer) Battery.
  • On 28 August 1916 the divisional artillery was reorganised to create batteries of six field guns each. “A” Battery of 233 Brigade was broken up, with two-gun sections joining 230 Brigade’s “A” and “B” Batteries respectively. “C” Battery of 233 Brigade was also broken up, with a two-gun section joining 230 Brigade’s  “C” Battery.
  • On 2 January 1917 “C” (Howitzer) Battery of 232 Brigade was broken up and a two-howitzer section joined 230 Brigade’s “D” (Howitzer) Battery.

CCXXI (1/2nd North Midland)

  • On formation in April 1908 it was briefly known as the 1st North Midland Brigade but became the 2nd on 1 September 1908.
  • The 2nd North Midland Brigade RFA TF was based at the Artillery Drill Hall on Victoria Square, Shelton, Staffordshire. It was comprised of a headquarters, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Staffordshire Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The 3rd Battery was based at Leek. Each battery was armed with four obsolescent 15-pounder field guns.
  • The brigade came under orders of the North Midland Division ans was often known as the “North Staffordshire Artillery”. Its movements and history can be traced on the page describing that division (link below).
  • Re-armed with modern 18-pounder field guns 19-22 November 1915.
  • A new “D” Battery was formed 25 April 1916.
  • On 13 May 1916 the brigade was renamed to 231 Brigade RFA and the batteries given letters.
  • The Brigade Ammunition Column left to merge into the Divisional Ammunition Column 22 May 1916.
  • On 23 May 1916 “D” Battery left for 233 Brigade and became its “B” Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of that brigade’s “R” (Howitzer) Battery which was then renamed “D”.
  • On 28 August 1916 the divisional artillery was reorganised to create batteries of six field guns each. “C” and “B” Batteries of 233 Brigade were broken up, with a two-gun section of each joining 231 Brigade’s “A” and “C” Batteries respectively.
  • On 2 January 1917 “C” (Howitzer) Battery of 232 Brigade was broken up and a two-howitzer section joined 231 Brigade’s “D” (Howitzer) Battery.

CCXXII (1/3rd North Midland)

  • On formation in April 1908 it was briefly known as the 2nd North Midland Brigade but became the 3rd on 1 September 1908.
  • The 3rd North Midland Brigade RFA TF was based at the Artillery Drill Hall at West Park, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. It was comprised of a headquarters, the 4th, 5th and 6th  Staffordshire Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The 5th Battery was based at West Bromwich and the 6th at Stafford. Each battery was armed with four obsolescent 15-pounder field guns.
  • The brigade came under orders of the North Midland Division. Its movements and history can be traced on the page describing that division (link below).
  • Re-armed with modern 18-pounder field guns 19-22 November 1915.
  • A new “D” Battery was formed 4 May 1916.
  • On 13 May 1916 the brigade was renamed to 232 Brigade RFA and the batteries given letters.
  • The Brigade Ammunition Column left to merge into the Divisional Ammunition Column 22 May 1916.
  • On 23 May 1916 “D” Battery left for 233 Brigade and became its “C” Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of that brigade’s “B” (Howitzer) Battery which was then renamed “D”.
  • On 28 August 1916 “C” Battery was broken up, with two-gun sections joining “A” and “B” Batteries of 232 Brigade respectively.
  • 512 (Howitzer) Battery joined 27 October 1916 and was renamed “C” (Howitzer) Battery.
  • Left the division to be converted into an Army Brigade on 3 January 1917. “C” (Howitzer) Battery was broken up, with two-howitzer sections joining the “D” (Howitzer) Batteries of 230 and 231 Brigades respectively. At the same time, “C” Battery arrived from 247 Brigade RFA and became this brigade’s new “C” Battery. A two-howitzer section joined from
  • “D” (Howitzer) Battery of 247 Brigade and was added to this brigade’s “D” (Howitzer) Battery.

CCXXIII (1/4th North Midland) (Howitzer)

  • The 4th North Midland RFA TF was based at Artillery Drill Hall at Siddal’s Road in Derby. It comprised a headquarters, the 1st and 2nd Derbyshire (Howitzer) Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. The 1st Battery also operated at West Hallam. Each battery was armed with four obsolescent 5-inch howitzers.
  • The brigade came under orders of the North Midland Division. Its movements and history can be traced on the page describing that division (link below).
  • Re-armed with modern 4.5-inch howitzers on 14 December 1915.
  • On 28 February 1916 “A” (Howitzer) Battery joined from 36th (Ulster) Division and was soon renamed “R” (Howitzer) Battery.
  • On 13 May 1916 the brigade was renamed to 232 Brigade RFA and the original batteries given letters “A” and “B”.
  • The brigade was reorganised on 23 May 1916 and ceased to be a howitzer unit. “A” (Howitzer) Battery went to 230 Brigade in exchange for its “A” Battery. “R” (Howitzer) Battery went to 231 Brigade in exchange for its “D” Battery. “C” (Howitzer) Battery went to 232 Brigade in exchange for its “D” Battery. The three arrivals were then renamed as “A”, “B” and “C”.
  • The brigade was broken up on 29 August 1916: “A” Battery went to 230 Brigade; B” went to 231; and “C” was broken up into two two-gun sections which went to 230 and 231 Brigades.

North Midland Divisional Ammunition Column

  • This unit was only formed once the rest of the division had moved to concentrate in the Luton area in September 1914.
  • Enlarged by merger of former Brigade Ammunition Columns 22 May 1916.

Books

Links

Other Royal Field Artillery units

46th (North Midland) Division

59th (2nd North Midland) Division

Order of Battle of Divisions

Territorial Force