CLII, CLX, CLXXV and CLXXVI (Howitzer) Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery (34th Divisional Artillery)

These units were formed in Nottingham, Sunderland, Staffordshire and Leicestershire in late April and May 1915 and are sometimes known as 152, 160, 165 and 166 (Howitzer) Brigades RFA. The brigades originally placed under command of the 34th Division. You can see details of the division’s battles and movements on the pages describing the divisions.

CLII (Nottingham)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 18 May, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 34th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916 A Battery left and joined 176 Brigade as its A Battery. D Battery was then renamed as A Battery. C (Howitzer) Battery arrived from 176 Brigade, and was then renamed as this brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 28 August 1916 the field gun batteries were brought up to six guns each. C Battery was broken up, sending a section of two guns to join A and B Batteries respectively. A Battery was then renamed as C Battery. A Battery. made up to six by the arrival of a section of two from C Battery of 176 Brigade) joined from 176 Brigade and became this brigade’s new A Battery.
    • On 24 November 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery was brought up to six howitzers by the arrival of a section of two from C Battery of 175 Brigade.

CLX (Wearside)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 18 May, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 34th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916 B Battery left and joined 176 Brigade as its B Battery. D Battery was then renamed as B Battery. A (Howitzer) Battery arrived from 176 Brigade, and was then renamed as this brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 28 August 1916 the field gun batteries were brought up to six guns each. B Battery joined from 176 Brigade but was split up, with two gun sections going to A and B Batteries respectively. A section of two joined C Battery from C Battery of 176 Brigade.
    • On 24 November 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery was brought up to six howitzers by the arrival of a section of two from C Battery of 175 Brigade.

CLXXV (Staffordshire)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 18 May, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 34th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916 C Battery left and joined 176 Brigade as its C Battery. D Battery was then renamed as C Battery. D (Howitzer) Battery arrived from 176 Brigade, and became this brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 28 August 1916 the field gun batteries were brought up to six guns each. B battery was broken up, with two-gun sections going to join A and C Batteries respectively. C Battery was then renamed B Battery.
    • On 7 October 1916 516 (Howitzer) Battery joined and was renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 24 November 1916 C (Howitzer) Battery was broken up, with two-howitzer sections going to the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 152 and 160 Brigades respectively.
    • The brigade left the division and became an Army Field Artillery Brigade on 26 January 1917.

CLXXVI (Howitzer) (Leicestershire)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 4.5-inch howitzers, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 4 February 1916 B (Howitzer) Battery left (along with a subsection of the Brigade Ammunition Column) to join 8th London Brigade in 47th (2nd London) Division.
    • On 18 May 1916, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 34th Divisional Ammunition Column
    • On 22 May 1916 A, C and D Batteries all left, going to 160, 162 and 175 Brigades respectively as their D (Howitzer) Batteries. They were replaced by batteries from those same brigades, which were renamed as this brigade’s A, C and D Batteries respectively. At this point the brigade dropped the “Howitzer” from its title.
    • The brigade was broken up on 28 August 1916. A Battery and a section of C Battery went to 152 Brigade; the other half of C, along with B Battery, went to 160 Brigade.

Divisional Ammunition Column (Nottingham)

  • This unit was expanded on 22 May 1916 by the arrival of the four Brigade Ammunition Columns.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

34th Division

47th (2nd London) Division

Order of Battle of Divisions