CLV, CLXI, CLXIV (Howitzer) and CLXVIII Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

These units were formed in Yorkshire for the Fifth New Army in mid-1915 and are sometimes known as 155, 161, 164 (Howitzer) and 168 Brigades RFA. They were originally placed under command of the 31st Division and joined it at Ripon on 5 August 1915. When the division was ordered overseas, the artillery was left behind. It moved to Larkhill, where between 30 December 1915 and 1 January 1916 it was placed under command of 32nd Division. The 31st now received the artillery from the 32nd Division. You can see details of its battles and movements on the pages describing the divisions.

CLV (West Yorkshire)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns.
    • On 26 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 164 Brigade as its A Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of A (Howitzer) Battery from 164 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On the same date, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 32nd Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 15-17 September 1916 A Battery was broken up, and its two-gun sections joined B and C Batteries to bring them up to six guns each: C was then renamed as A.
    • 536 (Howitzer) Battery  joined from England on 10 October 1916 and was renamed as C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 20 January 1917 the brigade left 32nd Division and became an Army Field Artillery Brigade. C (Howitzer) Battery was split up and its two-howitzer sections were transferred to the D (Howitzer) Batteries of 161 and 168 Brigades to bring them up to six each.
    • On 25 January 1917 a section of two from 517 (Howitzer) Battery of 169 Brigade (31st Division) joined D (Howitzer) Battery to also bring that unit up to six.
    • A Battery of 308 Brigade (61st (2nd South Midland) Division) joined on 10 February 1917 and was renamed as C Battery.

CLXI (Yorkshire)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns.
    • On 26 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 164 Brigade as its B Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of B (Howitzer) Battery from 164 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On the same date, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 32nd Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 17 September 1916 A and B Batteries were brought up to six guns by the arrival of sections from A Battery of 169 Brigade. C Battery was also expanded by two arriving from C Battery of 168 Brigade.
    • On 20 January 1917 D (Howitzer) Battery was brought up to six by the arrival of a two-howitzer section from C (Howitzer) Battery from 155 Brigade.

CLXIV (Howitzer) (Huddersfield)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 4.5-inch howitzers.
    • On 16 February 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery left to join 49th (West Riding) Divisional Artillery. It became D (Howitzer) Battery of 258 (IV West Riding) Brigade.
    • On 26 May 1916 A and B (Howitzer) Batteries left to join 155 and 161 Brigades as their D (Howitzer) Batteries. C (Howitzer) Battery joined from 164 Brigade and was renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery, and the D Batteries joined from 155, 161 and 168 to become A, B and C Batteries. At this point the brigade dropped the “Howitzer” from its title.
    • On the same date, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 32nd Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • The brigade was broken up on 17 September 1916, with A Battery going to 161 Brigade; B, C and D (Howitzer) Battery all going to 168 Brigade.

CLXVIII (Rotherham)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns.
    • On 26 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 164 Brigade as its C Battery.
    • On the same date, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 32nd Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 15-17 September 1916 A Battery was split up: one section remained and was joined by the arrival of C Battery from 164; the other section went to B Battery to bring it up to six guns. C Battery was also split up: one section remained and was joined by the arrival of B Battery from 164 (the whole still being called C Battery); the other section went to C Battery of 161 Brigade.
    • On 17 September 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 164 Brigade and became this brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 20 January 1917 a section of two joined D (Howitzer) Battery from C (Howitzer) Battery of 155 Brigade.

Divisional Ammunition Column (Hull)

  • This unit was expanded on 26 May 1916 by the arrival of the four Brigade Ammunition Columns.

 

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

31st Division

32nd Division

Order of Battle of Divisions