CLXXXIII (Howitzer), CLXXXVII, CLXXXIX and CXC Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

These brigades were raised through local efforts during 1915 and were placed under orders of 41st Division. By early 1916 they had joined the rest of the division in the Aldershot area and were accommodated at Marlborough Lines.

You can see details of their battles and movements on the pages describing the divisions.

CLXXXIII (Howitzer) (Hampstead)

  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 4.5-inch howitzers, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 41st Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 27 May 1916 A, B and C Batteries all left, going to 189, 187 and 190 Batteries respectively as their D (Howitzer) Batteries. They were replaced by the D Batteries from those same brigades, which were renamed as this brigade’s A, B and C Batteries respectively. At this point the brigade dropped the “Howitzer” from its title.
    • On the same date, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 41st Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • The brigade was broken up in the period 18-30 November 1916. A section of A Battery went to A Battery of 187 Brigade; the other section went to B Battery of 187 Brigade; B Battery and D (Howitzer) Batteries both went to 190 Brigade; and a section of C Battery went to C Battery of 187 Brigade; the other section went to C Battery of 190 Brigade.

CLXXXVII (Fulham)

  • The raising of the brigade was mentioned in the “Fulham Chronicle” on 4 June 1915, stating that the Mayor, Cllr. H. G. Norris, had gained War Office approval.
  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 41st Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 27 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 183 Brigade as its B Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of B (Howitzer) Battery from 183 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 30 November 1916 the field-gun batteries were brought up to six guns each. A section joined from A Battery of 183 Brigade and was added to A Battery; a section arrived from the same unit and was added to B Battery; and a section joined from C Battery of 183 Brigade and was added to C Battery.
    • Also on 30 November 1916 the howitzer battery was reconstructed: D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 190 Brigade and was increased by the addition of a section from this brigade’s existing D (Howitzer) Battery; it then became this brigade’s D (Howitzer) Battery; the other section went to D (Howitzer) Battery of 190 Brigade.
    • On 5 December 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery was again reconstructed.
    • On 8 January 1917 a section of two howitzers joined D (Howitzer) Battery from D (Howitzer) Battery  of 190 Brigade.

CLXXXIX (Hackney)

  • The raising of the brigade was mentioned in the “East London Observer” on 11 September 1915, stating that the Mayor, L. Stanley Johnson, had gained War Office approval. It was referred to as the “Hackney Gun Brigade” and appears to have been quite well established: based at the Electricity Offices on Millfields Road, it already had 200 full-uniformed recruits and a variety of guns and equipment. The recruiting office for the brigade was at the Public Baths on Lower Clapton Road.
  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 41st Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 27 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 183 Brigade as its A Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of A (Howitzer) Battery from 183 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 26-27 November 1916 the field-gun batteries were brought up to six guns each. A Battery was split up, with sections going to B and C Batteries respectively.
    • On 5 December 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 190 Brigade and was renamed as A (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 8 January 1917 the brigade left 41st Division to became an Army Field Artillery Brigade. At the same time, its A (Howitzer) Battery left to join 190 Brigade.
    • [On 20 January 1917 a section joined from C (Howitzer) Battery of 187 Brigade to bring D (Howitzer) Battery up to six. Next day, 34 Battery joined the brigade from 47th (London) Division)].

CXC (Wimbledon)

  • The raising of the brigade was mentioned in the “People” on 11 September 1915, stating that it had been inaugurated by the Mayor, Alderman Barry.
  • This brigade comprised A, B, C and D Batteries, each of four 18-pounder field guns, and a Brigade Ammunition Column.
    • On 22 May 1916, the Brigade Ammunition Column left to join the 41st Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 27 May 1916 D Battery left and joined 183 Brigade as its C Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of C (Howitzer) Battery from 183 Brigade, which was then renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 25-26 November 1916 the field-gun batteries were brought up to six guns each. A Battery was split up, with one of its sections going to B Battery and one being added to the B Battery which joined from 188 Brigade and which was then renamed as this brigade’s A Battery. A section of two joined C battery from C Battery of 183 Brigade.
    • At the same time, the D (Howitzer) Battery left to join 187 Brigade, and was replaced by D (Howitzer) Battery from 183 Brigade, enlarged by the addition of a section from D (Howitzer) Battery of 187 Brigade.
    • On 5 December 1916 the section of D (Howitzer) Battery which had arrived from 187 Brigade was sent back to it.
    • On 8 January 1917 D (Howitzer) Battery was broken up. One section went to D (Howitzer) Battery of 187 Brigade and the other joined A (Howitzer) Battery of 189 Brigade.
    • A (Howitzer) Battery of 189 Brigade then joined this brigade and was renamed as D (Howitzer) Battery. [Are you keeping up with this … LOL]

Divisional Ammunition Column (West Ham)

  • This unit was expanded on 22 May 1916 by the arrival of the four Brigade Ammunition Columns.

Links

The Batteries and Brigades of the Royal Field Artillery

41st Division

Order of Battle of Divisions