In Mailly-Maillet today thanks to Google Maps. We are standing on the D619 road (rue du General Leclerc), looking northwards, just before its junction with the D129 to Englebelmer. There is now no trace of the wall and pond seen on the left hand side of the 1918 photograph.
IWM 8632. “A battery of 18-pounder guns of the Royal Field Artillery passing through Mailly-Maillet to meet the German advance, 26 March 1918.”
The site today. This is on the rue Sorel, heading west from the village. The battery is in fact going away from the enemy’s direction.
IWM Q61329. “British troops in the Rue de l’Eglise (Church Street) at Mailly-Maillet, 20 April 1918”
The beautiful ancient detail of the wall of the church was preserved from damage by the sandbags and timber seen in the contemporary photograph.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.