Imperial War Museum photograph Q1874 “British troops and inhabitants of the ruined village of Mons-en-Chaussée greeting British troops on their arrival in the village, 21st March 1917”
Mons-en-Chaussée lies east of the River Somme, on the old Roman road to Saint-Quentin. It was captured by the British during their pursuit of the German strategic withdrawal from the Somme sector to the prepared position of the Hindeburg Line in the spring of 1917. The photograph features the largely destroyed church of Église Saint-Pierre d’Estrées-Mons.
Google Maps shows the location today, with the rebuilt church ahead. The camera is standing on the D1029 Chaussée Brunehaut road in the village centre, facing west.
Gazetteer of the Western Front